6. Score

Maisie's Pov:

I'm standing in the tunnel, awaiting the call to lead the team onto the pitch, where we'd line up for team photos and shaking the other team's hand. Nervously, I switched my balance from leg to leg and glanced over my shoulder at Ruby behind me, giving her a smile before turning around again and staring out at the pitch. Fiddling with the armband, I suddenly notice one of the game management people waving at me, letting me know we can go out now. Taking a deep breath in, I say "Let's go girls!" and start the walk out onto the pitch, to the cheers of the relatively small crowd. Lining up, and facing the crowd, game face on, I take another deep breath and take the chance to have a look round the stadium, and get comfortable with the fact at least 1,000 people were watching us. Shit. This was nerve-racking. We shake hands with the other team, and as I'm about to chivey the team over for a team photo, I hear through the loud speakers my name being called. What was this about? Looking around, I eventually see my manager and mum walking up to me, in the middle of the pitch, holding some large frame. What is happening right now?

"Please could everyone put their hands together for Maisie Bronze as she makes her 300th appearance in the academy, the youngest player ever to do so" Len, my manager, announces into the microphone he's holding, so that the whole stadium could here. The crowd starts cheering and I just stand there in shock, not exactly sure what to think or do.

"I'm so proud of you Maise" Mum says as she pulls me into a hug, kissing my head. I'm still just standing there as mum turns the frame around to reveal my 300 appearance special shirt.

"Wow, I, um thank you" I eventually say, taking the frame from mum and holding it up to see it better. Suddenly, I feel someone jump onto my back and I just manage to catch them, not entirely sure who it is.

"Lets go, maisie, little city legend" I recognise that voice as Katie's and laugh.

"Yeah, yeah, not even made a pro appearance yet, calm down" I say, dumping her off my back.

"Will do soon" She says, "I'll catch you in a bit, I think your mum wants a photo"

"Yeah, see ya" I go back over to mum who's grinning at me, "Proud mum moment for you then"

"100 percent, now let's get a photo before I get in the way of the game" We take the photo and then mum takes the fram back off the pitch whilst I run off to go do the kick off choosing in the centre of the pitch, before joining the other girls in the huddle.

"Ok girls, last push, I fully believe we have one hand on the trophy and I don't think with a team like this, it should be hard to get two on it. So, go out there, lets do our best and have a party tonight!" I say, hoping that was inspiring enough. As I'm about to say City on 3, Katie interrupts me, " 300 on 3, 3, 2 ,1". "300!" my team cheers and I laugh then jog into position.

The game-

15th min- GOAL! For man city 1:0

36th min- PENALTY AWARDED for Brighton

37th min- GOAL! for brighton - 1:1

HALF TIME-

We all head back into the changing room, spirits lower than they were before the match. Our coaches give us words of encouragement and hype us up, telling us we're the better team and that we can easily still win this. Heading out for the second half, I'm more determined than ever to win this.

Lucy pov-

I'm sat next to Keira, with some of the other man city girls who have come down to support and cheer Maisie on. At the half time whistle, I'm slightly worried on behalf of Maisie but I still had full faith that she could win this. Proudly, we watch the girls come back onto the pitch and we all stand up and cheer. I see Maisie notice and half smile, but she doesn't look over, probably because she's embarrassed. Oh well, that's what mums are for, she can be happy I'm not a facebook mum, although in her eyes, I probably am.

"Come on Maise" I mutter as the whistle is blown, signalling the start of the second half.

56th min- Brighton score.

"NOOO" I say only loud enough for the girls around me to here, and sink back into my seat, devastated for Maisie. I feel keira put her arm round me and she whispers, "Let's be honest, it's maisie, do you really think she's going home with a loss today?" I smile, knowing she's right.

75th min-

This is it, Man city are on the break, Katie chasing up the left wing with the ball at her feet. She perfectly crosses the ball over to the centre where I watch as Maisie jumps up, timing her header perfectly as the ball smashes into the back of the net. We all stand up cheering, with me probably screaming the loudest. "Let's fucking go Maise" I shout as she runs past, to which she turns around and shouts back, "Would grandad approve"

Keira bursts out laughing at this, hyping Maisie up whereas the other girls just look confused.

"long story" I simply say, knowing that at some point the girls will grill it out of me.

That's another thing I love about Maisie, she has a great sense of humour, very similar to mine and extremely witts which I'll be honest are extremely infuriating sometimes.

"Hey, look up at the screen" Ellie says laughing.
I look up and notice that the cameras are on us and the stadium are cheering, probably because they noticed us. We all sit there awkwardly laughing, waiting for the cameras to go off us again. 

By the 89th minute, the teams are still drawing 2 all, and I start to feel dread in my belly

By the 89th minute, the teams are still drawing 2 all, and I start to feel dread in my belly. I know just how draining matches with so much on the line like this can be, so I'm expecting a tired Maisie tonight.

I sit with my head in my knees, not being able to watch, with Keira's hand rubbing my back, when all of a sudden, I hear the girls stand up and shout. "Penalty Ref!" Keira shouts, which makes me shoot my head up to see what's happening. As the referee points to the spot, I stand up, hands behind my head, shouting words of encouragement to the team. "Maisie's taking it, Luce" Ellie says, and I notice her spinning the ball on her finger standing near the spot, whilst Brighton argue with the Ref. 

"Wonder where she learnt that trick from" Keira says, nudging me, to which I laugh nervously. 

"Come on Maise, you've got this" I mutter.  This is it, the game deciding shot, the league winning deciding shot. I watch, feeling sick, praying to all gods Maisie gets this one in. "I can't watch Ke" I say and look away, burying my head into her shoulder. 

After what feels like years, a silence fills the stadium, so I assume she's about to take it. Taking a deep breath, I mumble into Keira's shoulder, "Come on Maise"

Suddenly, Keira pulls me up, cheering and I realise she's scored! She's fucking gone and scored! I'm so over the moon and proud of Maisie right now. The whole team has piled onto her, and I hug Keira, trying not to cry onto her. The whole stadium has erupted for my Maisie and I honestly couldn't be prouder right now. I can hear the loud goal music being played through the speakers and someone's banging a drum in the crowd. The replay of Maisie's pen is being played on the screen and I watch her smash it bottom left, a brilliant penalty. Power and the weak side of the keeper; a great tactical shot.