8. Oh shit

A/n- Mentions of Sick

Maisie's POV:

"Mummm, hi, please can you pick me up" I shout down the phone, trying to be loud enough over the singing going on in the background. After the celebrating at the Game, we'd all piled round to Brooke, one of my teammate's, house and were partying all evening. Now, deciding I wanted to go home, I was calling Mum, asking for a lift home. Most of the other girls were slowly leaving, one-by-one, so I thought now would be a good time to dash off. 

"Maisie! Are you joking?" I just about hear mum reply. I pause for a minute, normally mum is fine with picking me up, so why does she sound annoyed?

"What? No, it's fine if not, I can walk"

"Maisie, there's no way you're walking, It's 3am for god's sake! You told me you were staying over!" Shit, mum's angry. 

"HUhhhh, nooo, I never said that, oh shit, hang on" I suddenly feel a wave of sickness come over me and I run, phone in hand to the toilet and just about get there in time. 

"Maisie? Maisie!" Mum shouts down the phone, clearly hearing me. "For actual fucks sake Maisie, stay there, I'll come"

"Thanks mum" I just about manage to say before puking again. 

"Maisie, you ok?" I hear someone say behind me. I mumble in response. "Your mum's coming right? If not, I can give you a lift home?" I realise it's Katie, so I look up and nod.

"That's good. How much have you had, jesus christ. Game winner one hour, gagging over a toilet bowl the next" She says, laughing. 

"Oh shut up Katie" I reply, trying not to smirk. 

"I only say the truth though, and you can't deny that" 

"And how much have you had to drink?"

"Hmm, some but clearly not as much as you"

"Yeah, or you've just got a better fucking stomach"

"Or that"

We sit in comfortable silence for the next 5 minutes, while I try to keep the drink down, and Katie sits, leaning against the wall. Suddenly, the realisation of what I've done kicks in. 

"Oh Fuck, Shit, shit ,shit, shit" I say, half whispering. 

"What's up?" Katie says. 

"Oh my god, oh my fucking god, what have I done." I turn to look at Katie, tears forming. 

"What?" 

I say nothing and just cry, and cry, even when Katie pulls me into her, and I bury my head into her shoulder, I just continue to sob. How the fuck can I be so stupid and selfish.  I'm not sure how long Katie holds me for, but I'm brought back to the sharp reality when someone bursts into the room.

"Oh my god! " Katie and I jump. Oh shit, it's my mum. 

"sorry" mum says, "Maisie, how long since you've been sick?"

"Um, like, uh, I don't know"

"20 minutes" Katie replies for me. Shit, that means I was crying on Katie for 20 minutes

"OK, you should be fine then, thanks Katie, Let's go then Maisie"

I struggle up, and whisper to Katie, "Thanks, can I call you?" 

She nods in reply, "I'll see you soon"

Mum quickly whisks me out of there and gets me in the car then dramatically gets into her seat and slams the door. Here it comes.. 

"Why the fuck Maisie, do you not think about ANYONE else, IT'S 3 AM!" Mum's shouting now, "AND WHAT JUST SO HAPPENS TO BE TOMORROW, OH WAIT TODAY, THE FUCKING END OF THE SEASON" I don't reply and just sit in silence. "Great one Maisie, absolute great one" 

With that, mum drives off, and not another word is said until we get home. As mum unlocks the door, she says, "Be quiet because at least Keira's asleep" 

I try to mumble a response, but before I can do so, I feel another wave coming over me and I dash into the toilet, gagging. As I throw up, I feel Mum hold my hair back and rub my back. Unfortunately, this sets me off again. "I'm really, really sorry mum" I say between cries 

"It's ok, I'm sorry I shouted at you, let's just get you to bed ok?" 

"Mhm"

She helps me upstairs and tucks me into bed, in the same tracksuit I was already wearing. 

"Night Maisie" She says

"Night Mum" I mumble. 

"Actually Maisie, just out of interest, you know Katie..." 

"Er yeah"

"Anything going on there?.."

How the fuck. "What.. no" Unfortunately the 'no' came out a bit quieter and less confident then I hoped but luckily, Mum left it at that and left the room, closing the door behind her.