Ch.11) Decorating

Stephanie's Point of View:

It was the week before Winter Break and everyone was buzzing about the winter dance. The dance was going to be called, "Eskimo Enchantment".

Of course, I wasnt going to go; I didnt have anyone to go with and I didnt even like to dance.

Eli was driving me home from school like he did as usual. Aunt Lori picked up Ryan from school because the students who were under 9th grade got out of school about 40 minutes earlier.

"Did you hear about Eskimo Enchantment?" he asked as his eyes were focused on the road.

I shook my head,

"Yeah, but I dont like dances, they arent my thing." I said.

Eli laughed,

"They arent my thing either, but since Im the school's Senior representative, I have to go..so I was wondering if you wanted to come with me."

I looked at him, a little startled,

"What? Why me?"

He peered over,

"I usually take Chelsea Moore to school dances. But since you've never been to a Crimson High dance, I figured that I should take you to one."

I shook my head again,

"No, I told you. I dont like dances. I barely even know how to dance." I replied.

Eli stopped the car as a red light appeared,

"Come with me, it'll be fun. Dances are always lame, but we can be lame together next week." he said as he laughed.

"The light is green now, go. Focus on the road." I said, as I tried to change the subject. I laughed at how ridiculous I sounded.

Eli smiled,

"Stop trying to distract me. Just go with me to the dance, you have never been to one at our school, and you should atleast go to one."

"Fine, I'll go with you." I said as I rolled my eyes. The car stopped in front of Aunt Lori's house and I got out of the car.

"See ya later." Eli said as he waved goodbye. His red convertible drove off as his blond hair flew back from the speed.

Aunt Lori opened the door and greeted me.

"Hey Steph. I made cookies! You got home just in time, me and Ryan were going to decorate the house." she said enthusiastically.

"Decorate the whole house? Wouldnt that take a long time?" I asked as I looked around.

"Just a couple of hours if we decorate fast." Ryan said as he began to hang a Christmas wreath on the door.

"Start decorating dear, it'll be fun." Aunt Lori said as she gave me a bag of Christmas decorations.

I smiled and began decorating with her.

As I helped Aunt Lori and Ryan decorate, I realized how empty the house felt. It was a large, beautiful home but we were the only three people that lived in it. Maids cleaned the house in the mornings and left.

It was no wonder why Ryan felt so sad and lonely all the time.

The house wouldnt feel as lonely Uncle Mark was here.

The realization that Uncle Mark was dead, hit me hard and I found myself in tears. Aunt Lori saw me and came over and patted my shoulders, she also began to cry, and when he noticed, Ryan did too.

We were all grieving.

Aunt Lori grabbed a tissue,

"Let's continue decorating guys. It's winter, it's the holiday season. It is suppose to be joyful - no tears. Ryan, remember how your dad loved to decorate the house? He would always carry you on his shoulders so you could put the star piece on top of the Christmas tree." Aunt Lori said as she hugged Ryan and I.

Ryan wiped his nose onto his shirt,

"It's difficult...this is our first Christmas without him." he muttered.

I tried to cheer Ryan up,

"Yeah but, Im glad Im here to spend this Christmas with you guys. I miss your dad too. In a way he will be spending Christmas with all of us, in our hearts." I said as I wiped my tears.

Aunt Lori nodded and kissed Ryan on the cheek.

We all began to decorate again. By 9 pm, we had finished.

It was December 8th and the Eskimo Dance was on December 19th.

Christmas was going to be on December 25th.

****A note from the author:

The next two chapters will be extra dramatic and exciting chapters.

They will sort of be the turning points of the novel, so check back in :)

And if you have not checked out the cast to this story, make sure you do. :D

(To see the cast of this story, go to Chapter 1 and the 'view cast' button should be under the chapter title.)

Chelsea Moore (a new character) that was mentioned in this chapter, will be introduced in the next two chapters.

A cast is important for any story to help readers visualize the characters