Ch.17) A Familiar Face

Jeff's Point of View:

"Woah. What's up with the flowers?" I asked with a laugh.

Steph's smile had turned upside down.

"It's nothing... Eli sent them here; probably as an apology but it doesnt mean anything to me." she said solemnly.

"An apology? What did he do to you?" I asked as my eyebrows crinkled.

Steph's Point of View:
Jeff turned from cheery to concerned, his eyebrows crinkled. I knew he was worried.

"After you and Andrea went home from the dance, Eli was mad about you and I dancing, so he decided to not give me a ride home." I explained.

"Wow. What a total asshole. You didnt deserve that." Jeff said.

"I hate how he just dates girls and always ends up breaking their hearts. He is such a jerk, he needs to learn a damn lesson. I'm going to show him right now." Jeff said as he clenched his fists. He headed for the door and I knew he was going to Eli's house.

I ran to him,

"Jeff, stop." I said as I grasped his hand.

"I dont care if it's Christmas eve, I'm going to beat his ass. He treated you horribly that night." Jeff said as his cheeks turned red.

"Just stop it. Instead of beating beating Eli up at all, how about you come with me and Ryan to volunteer at the homeless shelter." I said enthusiastically. I didnt want Jeff to get in trouble for hurting Eli.

Aunt Lori added,

"Jeff you should go with Steph and Ryan to the homeless shelter downtown. I signed them up for today, it would be a great way to give back to the community and serve the homeless a nice Christmas eve dinner."

Jeff replied,

"I guess I should go, I've never been to a homeless shelter before. I'll drive."

Ryan's Point of View:
As we walked towards Jeff's car, I became speechless.

"Gosh this is such a cool car!"

Jeff grinned as he unlocked it,

"Yeah, my stepmom got it for me last year. It's a A Mercedes SLR McLaren. The horsepower that this car has is radical." he said.

"Can I ride in the front with you?" I asked with hesitation.

"Sure thing, bud." Jeff responded.

I got in and buckled up, the acceleration of the car went full throttle, the car grumbled and we were on our way to the homeless shelter shelter.

Steph's Point of View:
As I sat in the backseat of Jeff's car, boredom flooded my mind. Jeff and Ryan chattered on and on about cars. My mind wandered off and thought of Eli. It was a kind gesture to send me those flowers, maybe I could forgive him - overtime. At the moment, my heart fluttered for Jeff and Jeff's heart fluttered back.

We arrived at the homeless shelter and a coordinator from the shelter greeted us then gave us name tags. She pointed to a large counter.
"There are meals in wrapped-trays over there. You guys can start passing them out. Thanks so much for volunteering today, after all it is Christmas eve."

Jeff's Point of View:
The homeless shelter had an unpleasant smell; the smell of crushed dreams and shower-deprived people. I didnt want to be here, but hey, I was helping out the community and it made Steph happy. I knew it was Christmas eve, but it just felt so melancholy in there. I began to start passing out the pre-packed meals; they looked like cheap frozen food. I was dearly thanked each time I gave one out, and I felt so sorry for everyone. Sympathy was running through m veins. I felt so grateful for everything I had. There was a man, that couldn't stop staring at me, I had no idea why. Maybe he was extra hungry? I walked over to him,
"Merry Christmas eve." I said as I handed him a meal tray.
He stared blankly at my face and finally after 15 seconds of just staring, he spoke,
"...Jeff?" he muttered as he dropped his food tray.

I knelt down and peered into his eyes, his eyes were so familiar, a dark abyss of blue. Tears filled my eyes;

"Dad... is it you?"