The Mission

Natasha Romanoff, the ex-assassin that is more commonly known as the Black Widow. She's trying to make up for what she did during her time in the red room, and at the same time forgetting some things about the red room would be nice too. The red room put her through a type of torture, she still has nightmares about those times even though she's been out of their grasps for a couple of years.

One special mission they come home from a mission in Berlin. There was an organization that was starting to get higher up that was against SHIELD, SHIELD also had reason to believe that they were selling military grade weapons. So, they were sent in to take down the base and get information on them. 

What they got to the building Clint started locating the weapons and Natasha started loading the information from the computer onto the flash drive. Clint and the rest of the SHIELD agents with them got the weapons out of the building as well as taking down the guards that were in the building and Natasha loaded everything onto the flash drive, just as planned. 

They were about to leave when Natasha heard... whimpering?

"Clint, you hear that?"

"Really Natasha, you're asking me about hearing something?"

"Right, sorry."

Clint rolled his eyes before gesturing Natasha to lead the way. She walked from door to door in the hallway putting her ear against the door to see if it was the room the sound was originating from. After a few doors she found the door. She looked at Clint as a gesture to let him know that this was the room and they both prepared for anything that could be behind the door.

Natasha slowly opened the door and inside was a little boy that looked about five years old with brown hair and large doe eyes, crying. He looked scared and he backed up from the two adults closer to the wall. 

Natasha's heart broke at the sight, it reminded her too much of the young girls that would be in the red room before they had their minds wiped. 

She moved closer to him slowly so he wouldn't back away, and she reached for his hands causing him to flinch before she slowly put her hands around his. It didn't take long for him to launch himself into Natasha and wrapping his arms around her. At first, she was startled by the action but let it happen and hugged him back. His crying led to sobbing when he was pulled into the hug and Natasha started to softly hum a Russian lullaby to hopefully calm him down.

After a few minutes he stopped crying and Natasha pulled back enough for them to be able to look each other in the eye. 

"Hi. My name is Natasha, but you can call me Nat. Can you tell me your name?"

"Peter Parker." His voice was trembling, and he sounded like he was seconds away from crying again. 

"Well Peter Parker, me and my friend Clint over there are gonna get you out of this place and protect you now." She nodded her head towards Clint in the doorway before looking back at Peter who gave her a wobbly smile.

Natasha then went to stand up, when she stood up the little boy decided that he was going to cling to her. She didn't have the heart to put him down, so she walked with Clint throughout the base to find that there was back up sent for the other group, and they walked out just in time to meet the back up. 

Natasha and Clint along with the SHIELD agents started to shoot back. Natasha honestly forgot that she was holding a child after a few minutes of fighting, at least until she felt more tears seep through her shirt. Looking down and seeing the child look at the seen in horror made her remember a few things. Like how this wasn't a necessarily bad fight to her but to the seven-year-old who was still clinging to Natasha it was without a doubt traumatizing experience. So, she turned his head onto her opposite shoulder so that he couldn't watch anymore.