Chapter 3

June lost control and kicked out as she struggled to free her captured arm. He twisted her arm behind her and she fought him with all her strength. She kicked and pushed and somehow they ended up on the floor with Dmitri straddling her as she lay on her back with her arms crossed over her chest and held down by his hands. Her chest was heaving from the struggle as Dmitri sat there calm as the breeze.

"Unhand me, you lout!" she screamed, as she tried to get her breath back.

"Calm yourself, woman!" he said forcefully. June stayed still for a few moments as her captor made no move to release her.

"Okay, all I want is my phone!" she pleaded to the monster holding her down.

"I will release you only if you promise to behave yourself." He responded calmly.

Did he think she was a petulant five year old, who needed to be corrected? June wanted to explode but one look at Dmitri's face prevented her from doing so, so she held her tongue in check and said meekly,

"I promise as long as I get my phone." He got off her and stretched out his hand to help her get off the floor. She scrambled to her feet totally ignoring his hand.

He walked down the stairs and she followed him silently wishing she could give him a swift kick in the derriere and see him rolling down the stairs; the thought brought a smile to her lips as she descended after him. If only she wondered, she did not know what happened to her but her foot was raised and she just kicked him then and there. Dmitri stumbled forward but regained his balance quickly as he clutched to the banister. June was smiling wickedly, he so deserved that a pity though he was not flat on his face. Her captor turned around with eyes full of fire. June straightened her shoulders and just brushed past him saying,

'You know you deserved that!' as she sprinted down the remaining stairs.

She spotted her phone on the sofa next to where he had probably been seated until she had called him upstairs. The television was showing the weather report so she attuned her ears. The weather man stated that the storm would soon be over and advised that only a few scattered showers were possible tomorrow. 

'Great,' she said turning around to see Dmitri casually leaning on the banister.

'I will be out of your hair tomorrow, sleep well!' she sang sweetly as she swept past him and bounded up the stairs.

She liked having the last word and the fact that he did not follow her showed that he had relaxed enough to accept her presence. She bolted her door and sat Indian style on the bed to call Jay.

'Hello,' he answered groggily.

'Jay, are you asleep it's barely 10 pm?' she inquired

'Just tired,.....June? Where are you? I have been waiting all afternoon?' he demanded

'My wonderful Jay, I am stuck in Spakane and from the look of the weather; I will not be coming out until late tomorrow morning.' There was complete silence on the other side of the call.