Chapter 5

June was resting when Dmitri came in to check on her.

"How are you feeling now?" he asked coming to sit beside her. He had brought in some warm ginger tea. June's heart started to explode. His nearness was doing strange things to her body. She was feeling tingly all over. She tried to sip the tea slowly as they remained in quiet. Dmitri was staring at her and she was looking everywhere but at him.

"How old are you?" she blurted out.

"Why do you want to know?" he countered staring at her intensely with his brown eyes.

"You never answered my question," he smiled.

"I am thirty-two."

Wow, he was five years older than she was.

He bent to take the empty cup from her and she could smell the masculine scent of his body.

She inhaled and he looked at her, for a moment, they were suspended in eternity and bent his face toward her. As his lips captured her own, her mind was screaming no but her body was getting warm all over. His lips were full and so soft that she opened up her mouth for his tongue, which slipped, into her mouth. As their tongues mingled, June spiralled; her hands pulled him closer to her.

This was pure bliss, she had never been kissed by a man like this before, he was her nectar, he slowly released her mouth as she opened her eyes and let her hands fall away from his face. His eyes were full of passion and she could feel the heat coming off him. She shyly lowered her eyelashes. She had never wantonly given herself to a man like that before. He picked up the tray and walked out without saying a word.

June exhaled what had come over her. What must he think of her? She was too tired to move although she wanted to high tail it out of the room. Instead, she sank under the covers and promptly fell asleep. She woke up a few hours later. It must be afternoon. She had no idea of time.

She needed to get out of here, sick or not. She scrambled out of bed feeling stronger. She needed her clothes. She found her case in his closet and her clothes neatly folded in his bureau, did he expect her to stay forever?

She hurriedly packed her stuff into her case and dressed in a black striped pants suit with a white camisole. She wanted to regain any manner of formality. Her head felt a bit light but she had to muster all her strength since her packing had fairly taken all out of her. She went over to the bathroom and tidied her hair into a ponytail. Her face had shrunk, she had lost some weight, and her clothes were loose about her body. Her makeup made her look decent again and hid the dark circles around her eyes and red blotches in her cheeks. She tidied the bed and descended the stairs. Dmitri was not in the house and since the kitchen door was open, he must be outside.  She would call a cab to pick her up.

Outside was a welcome sight. The gardens were immaculate with roses and carnations; there was also a good-sized kitchen garden, with herbs and vegetables in various stages of growth. Dmitri was not in the immediate back yard so she followed a stone path and noticed another cottage; a smaller one but hidden nicely in between some bushes. Who lived there? More mafia men? June thought.