Chapter 19

"He is adorable!" June's Mom cooed rocking her newborn grandson in her arms. "His skin is so soft." She continued as she rubbed her finger across his cheek.

"Dear, pass him along there is a queue here!" her dad eagerly stretched out his hands and her mother reluctantly deposited the sleeping baby into his grandfather's arms.

"He feels so heavy, aww." Her dad looked overwhelmed his eyes transfixed on the baby held in his arms who was fast asleep after coming into this world a few hours ago.

"The two of you are hogging and will definitely spoil him." May complained laughingly as she encouraged April to support her.

"You already held him, plus it is our duty as grandparents." Her mother countered.

Her son weighed 8lbs 10 ozs; he had a full head of dark hair, long limbs and the same patrician nose as his father. He would be tall and handsome, so far the only thing of hers he had were her blue eyes.

June groggily shifted on her bed. The delivery had been real tough. She had gone in for a normal delivery with no complications but suddenly while in the delivery room her son's heart rate was falling quickly. The doctor had listed her as critical and almost cancelled the normal delivery to turn it into a caesarean. Luckily her son was eager and rushed out. June then lost a lot of blood in the process, her blood pressure rose dangerously high and she slipped into a coma. She had to have blood given to her. However things took a turn for the better and she woke up. She had just held her son for the first time an hour earlier five hours after he was born.

She looked at her family cooing and gushing over her son she was so relieved that it was all over. She was very sore but extremely ecstatic she s had her son.

"It is feeding time!" a nurse walked into the room and took the baby from his grandfather.

"I'm not used to this as yet." June commented from her hospital bed. She was tired but just holding her son made her feel so refreshed. The nurse arranged her son in her arms and guided her on feeding him.

"That is it, let him suckle and get accustomed to the action." The nurse ensured that her son's head was correctly positioned.

"It feels weird; I can feel the fluid move." June was stating about the breastfeeding.

"That is a good sign; it seems your milk has come in early." The nurse said as she stood back after ensuring that June could continue on her own.

"Let him suck as much as he wants on the breast, to help him get used to the motion and also to aid your body to produce milk." June was amazed at her son. His mouth was tightly latched to her breast and he was suckling quite well.

"You both seem to have caught on pretty quickly. I will leave you to it then. Call the nurses station if you need any further assistance."

"Thanks." June said smirking as the nurse left her room.

He appeared hungry and after 10 minutes she was unsure if she should stop him as he continued to suck. His eyes were closing and she was unsure what to do.

"He has been feeding for a while, should I stop?" June looked up at her mother who was seated on the foot of her bed.

"No keep on for about 20 minutes and see," her mother advised her.

Her son was sleeping soundly after being fed ten minutes ago. Breastfeeding had felt strange at first but the sensation was filled with pride as her son suckled from her. His small eyes were open and bright. She knew she would love him for life.

"So June what name have you decided for this precious one?" her mother asked.

"Jonathan Zack Stapleton," she said confidently.