Chapter 35

The journey had been long and silent, the tension high within the group. They were on high alert at all times, fearing that a member of The League might appear at any moment.

It was clear to all of them that, because (Y/n) refused to join them, she was now at the number one spot on their hit list. If they hadn't wanted to kill her before, they certainly did now.

That wasn't the only reason there was tension of course.

Ever since (Y/n) had returned to the group with a furious scowl on her face and Shinsou trailing back looking guiltier than a child that was caught stealing from a vendor, the whole group had avoided conversing with either of them. Not that was to any avail trying anyway, when Kirishima had asked (Y/n) if she was alright when she came back she had snapped a simple 'I'm fine' at him before gathering her things and trudging off in the direction they were due to head off.

(Y/n)'s eyes were narrow and her nose was scrunched slightly as she stomped through the thick grass, her expression could've rivalled Bakugou's if it wanted to.

The nights came and went like a blur as they travelled through the thickening forest. It seemed like it was never going to end, however, it started looking up as Kirishima began to feel his strength finally returning.

He had tried shifting into his dragon form over the past few days, but that long journey with Bakugou had done a number on him. Every time he tried he ended up almost passing out from exhaustion within less than ten minutes. But now he'd said he was starting to finally feel like himself again, and when he shifted now he felt less tired than before and wasn't as woozy on his feet.

Over the last few days of travel (Y/n) had finally decided enough was enough and she had begun to read and attempt to learn a few spells within her book with Uraraka and Midoriya, however, she was still too nervous yet to cast them, aside from a couple of the simpler ones.

"You need to enunciate the word more," Midoriya explained patiently as (Y/n) stared down at the book far less patient than him.

"I am enunciating it!" She raised her voice in frustration, "Crescere." (Y/n) grumbled, holding her hand over the slightly budding daisy they had found on the ground, her hand glowed slightly before dying out.

Nothing happened and (Y/n) felt her head begin to ache again. At this point, her brain felt like it was pounding against her skull, "See I told you, it doesn't bloody work."

"You need to roll your tongue more, 'Cresceré'."

(Y/n) held back her annoyance as the boy had explained how to pronounce it for the seventeenth time in the last half an hour. She looked down at her grimoire, staring at the inscriptions on the page that she was unable to read, it had all been written in a strange language that she couldn't understand, however, the diagram of a dead flower growing and blooming seemed pretty self-explanatory.

Once again, she held out her hand, allowing her magic to trickle down her fingertips and she gently touched the closed wilted petals of the flower. She inhaled deeply and copied Midoriya's pronunciation of the word precisely as he had. Her hand glowed brightly once more, and so did the flower, however her shoulders sunk once more as the light dimmed down once again and nothing changed.

(Y/n) slammed her grimoire shut and tossed it to Midoriya as she felt the slightest trickle of blood start to seep out of her nose, "Alright, I think it's time for a breather." He agreed as if he could read her mind, placing the book on the ground gently, "We can try again later."

The girl rubbed her hands up and down her face, trying to numb her head as it pounded against her skull, meanwhile smearing her nosebleed across her cheek.