Chapter 24

"Three tankards of ale."

Kaminari slammed a few gold coins down onto the table of a shabby, rundown tavern that they had stumbled across during their travels. They weren't planning on staying for long, wanting to get off again as soon as possible, but it was good to finally get off their feet for a while.

"Anything else I can get for you love?" The barmaid gave the blonde boy a subtle wink as she held up an iron platter full of empty tankards that leaned on her right shoulder.

Kaminari smirked, however before he could reply to the woman's advances, (Y/n) gently slapped the back of her hand against his chest and smiled up at her.

"That will be all, thank you." The barmaid's lip curled slightly in distaste, but she turned and walked away back to the bar in silence.

(Y/n) turned her (e/c) eyes back to Kaminari, meeting with his own gold eyes and pouty lips.

"Don't look at me like that." She huffed, leaning back on the chair she was sat on, "We don't have time for any... distractions right now."

As if on cue, Shinsou returned from another table full of travellers and sat down beside (Y/n), much to Kaminari's disapproval. He unenthusiastically rolled a piece of parchment across the table, on it was scribbled a fairly messy, and slightly unreadable, map that was torn at the edges and covered in dark dirt stains.

"If we head North-East, we should reach the border in a few days." He directed, pointing to a slightly smudged ink line that spread over the map, separating the two regions of Elmont and Eragon, "We'll head up to the closest town or village, and from there we might be able to find a horse and cart that will be able to take us the rest of the way."

"What about heading back through Bleakbury, my village?"

Shinsou shook his head at (Y/n) suggestion, "We'd run the risk of you being recognised, whoever sold you out might alert the guards again."

"Sold you out? What were you dealing illegal potions or something?" Kaminari jested, glancing the barmaid up and down again flirtily as she placed the drinks onto the table.

(Y/n) awkwardly picked up the tankard and brought it to her lips, trying to hide the guilty look that crossed over her face, "Or something."

Kaminari glanced back at Shinsou who continued to look at the map in frustration, trying to make out the unintelligible writing of the men who he had traded it from, "I mean, why don't we go through Bleakbury? (Y/n) knows the place better than us, and we can simply disguise her. I mean, she looks a lot more different from when she had first started sailing with us. Though that outfit you wore was really quite something." He grinned cheekily up at (Y/n) who gave him an unimpressed glare.

"It could work, but are you willing to risk her safety before we even get close to the king."

"I'll- We'll be in danger the moment we step foot in Elmont. What's a little added risk going to do?" (Y/n) raised her eyebrow at Shinsou who smirked toothily back at her.

"Don't get too cocky now, Kittycat." His voice rumbled deeply, enticing, but not enough to sway (Y/n) from the task at hand.

"I know the roads there. Plus, I have a few friends that might be able to help us out a little."

"Friends?" Shinsou questioned, quirking his eyebrow slightly.

Kaminari downed the ale before grinning mischievously up at (Y/n), resting his head on his crossed arms, "Are these 'friends' of yours cute?"

"I don't think they're your... type." (Y/n) flicked his forehead and snorted.

"Course not," The blondes grin grew ten times wider, "Ain't no one got my eye but you, babe." He ended with an unsubtle wink.