Chapter 7

A subtle knock on the door woke (Y/n) from her slumber. She lifted her head off the pillow groggily and rubbed a hand over her face. She yawned, squinting her eyes at the beams of light that shone through the holes in the cloth that hung over the window. It was slightly colder than before, still very warm, but the heat had definitely been reduced.

The knock came again. "(Y/n), it's Kirishima. We got some food." As if on queue, her stomach growled loudly. (Y/n) heard a slight chuckle from the other side of the door, "I'll take it you're awake. Can I come in?"

"Yes." She responded, feeling slightly embarrassed.

The door opened slowly and Kirishima pushed his way in, holding a small loaf of bread and a bowl of broth in his hands. He smiled warmly as he brought it to her. (Y/n) stared at it greedily, wanting nothing more than to scoff it all down. But she didn't want to look like she had no manners in front of her one of her new companions.

Kirishima placed the bowl down in front of her on the bed and sat down on the edge. "How are your feet?"

(Y/n) looked down. The blisters had surprisingly subsided but they still felt slightly sore. "They feel better actually. Still not perfect but I could probably walk on them." She swung her legs off the side of the bed, however she reeled back with a hiss of pain when she put pressure on her feet. "Or not..."

"Hey, I'll get Bakugou. You stay here and eat." Kirishima nudged her.

"But I want to help." She protested, feeling like a helpless child.

He gave her a playful, yet stern look. "You've already helped so much, let us return the favour for once. Now eat." Kirishima then bounded out of the room, his wings hitting the doorframe on the way out.

(Y/n) smiled and picked up the bowl, smelling it. Her mouth watered as the flavours reached her nose and she let out a slight moan.

Bringing the bowl up to her lips she gulped it down. Spices burned her tongue but she was too hungry to care. It was gone within a minute and she eagerly used the bread to scoop up any more liquid left before popping it in her mouth.

(Y/n) flopped back onto the bed, placing an arm over her stomach and her other over her face. She listened to the busy market outside; a low chatter, someone playing a flute, men and women trying to sell things to people passing by. It was different from Bleakbury's market. Everyone was either quiet or complaining about the cold, not wanting to stay out too long in case they caught frostbite. She was sure nobody had to worry about frostbite here.

This market, unlike the one at home, seemed to radiate a sense of joy. (Y/n) wondered if all of Eragon was like this, with this kind of joyous atmosphere, or did it only seem this way because she was so used to Bleakbury's gloominess. Only she had truly enjoyed the winter days. Going out into the forest when snow had freshly fallen felt magical to her. But after walking barefoot for hours on end through the cold, she was rather glad to be out of it. She was just glad that she hadn't caught hypothermia from it, unlike normal people, witches weren't easily harmed by nature.

(Y/n) lifted her hand off her face and turned to look at the window. She felt homesick. If it weren't for what she was, she would be back in her clinic, still selling her remedies and helping people who had caught small things, like the common cold.

The reality of the situation was beginning to catch up to her and tears began to trickle out the corners of her eyes. (Y/n) covered her face with her hands and sobbed, curling into a small ball with her knees to her chest. She missed the forest. She missed the fae. She missed her home. But it had all been taken away in a single night.