Chapter 5 - Big Apartment

Matthew P.O.V.

You hear something open, then close. Zircon lifts his paw from your eyes, finally allowing you to see.

The inside of their base is...rather clean actually. The room is a large circle, with a few benches with other creatures sitting on, talking to each other. Still carrying you, Zircon enters an elevator, along with Jacko.

Going up, you reach a hallway. After walking around a while, Zircon stops at a door, waves goodbye to Jacko, and opens it.

Zircon: Welcome to your new home, Matthew!

The interior was like...an ordinary house. You could see a kitchen and a living room...

Zircon plops you down, and locks the door behind him.

Zircon: It's alright, my pet, you have unrestricted access in my apartment.

Apartment!? This looks like a house!

Zircon: I can see you're in awe of my abode, pumpkin. I knew you'd love it here!~

Matthew: ...

Zircon: Is something the matter?

Matthew: Ah, um...!

Zircon: Don't worry, I do everything around here. Cook, clean, and all you have to do is obey. Isn't that just wonderful?~

Matthew: W-Why did...uh well...

Zircon: Go on, ask away. I'm sure your little head is buzzing with questions.

Matthew: Why do you want me...as a...p-pet, exactly?

Zircon: Because you're the most adorable thing! So small, so cute! I just need you, okay?

Matthew: Oka-ay...um...what a-are you...not to be rude-

Zircon: We're protogen! 60% organic and 40% machine! 

Matthew: I s-see...

Zircon: I can see your knees shaking, peanut. Try to calm down, you're safe here.

Matthew: Sorry...

Zircon: Don't apologize! It's not your fault, you're still getting accustomed to your new living situation.

Matthew: Alright...why did you...

You stop midway, afraid of what you were about to ask. Why did they kill everyone? Why slaughter so many people...?

Zircon: Why did I what?

Matthew: Nothing...nothing at all...

Zircon: I can tell you're lying, y'know.

Matthew: It's nothing interesting...really, nothing noteworthy.

Zircon: ...You'll ask me another time, alright?

Matthew: ...fine...

Zircon: Anyway, do you want to play a card game? I'd love to learn how to play Uno. Do you know how to play?

Matthew: I do...

Zircon: Great! Please explain to me, so we can start!

You explain the rules to him, and both sit down and start playing.

Matthew: That card doesn't match.

Zircon: Yes it does! They're both 6!

Matthew: You placed a 9 on a 6, so it's not the same.

Zircon: Really? How can you tell the difference?

Matthew: There's a line to show where the base of the number is.