Chapter 14 - Attacks From Opposite Sides

Matthew P.O.V.

We went outside, and you saw the ruins of the town. The shops and streets have been totally destroyed and wrecked. You had to be pulled on your leash sometimes because you just stood there in shock.

Zircon: Something wrong, pumpkin? You don't look well...

Matthew: I-I'm fine, r-really...

Zircon: Oh, I get it! Are you upset because everything here looks like a wasteland?

That was blunt.

Zircon: Well, once everything with the remaining humans have been...dealt with, we'll work on reconstructing! It'll look more lively than before!~

You weren't to sure of the prospect of aliens rebuilding over the Earth, but you don't get a say.

Zircon: If I remember correctly, there's a clothing store right about...here!

You and Zircon found an abandoned clothing shop. The sign was tilted, some of the clothing racks are on the floor. The front windows have been shattered.

Zircon: Tell me if you see anything you like!

You look around, and see a couple of scarfs. Maybe you can use these to cover that collar, so that when you escape, you don't have to look at it.

Zircon: Oh no, we are not getting those. Everyone needs to know that you're mine, so we can't hide that adorable collar of yours, sweetie.

Drat. You pick out some plain t-shirts and pants, underwear and socks. Zircon says to place it in a basket he found, so you did just that.

Zircon: Get down.

Matthew: Huh...?

Zircon: Hide behind that shelf and GET DOWN. That's an ORDER FROM YOUR MASTER!

He sounded so...commanding, unlike his usually cheery self. You oblige, and hide. Peeking underneath, you see...people! Before you could even scream a warning, the only screams heard were of them. The 2 humans fell onto the ground.

Zircon approached you, claws covered in blood. You whimper in fear. He...murdered...someone. You knew he d-did kill, but seeing in front of y-your eyes...it...was frightening.

Zircon: Thank goodness it was only a few.

He picked you up, and tightened his grip around you.

Zircon: I'm sorry I sounded so mean, I had to make sure you were safe. I don't want you being near danger. I'll let you out on walks again when we've killed every single one of them. They can take you away, or hurt you, or...do t-terrible things... We should head back.

For the rest of the way, he held you, and made sure you couldn't move a muscle.

Kayla P.O.V.

...people. Living breathing people.

In my excitement, I exited my hiding spot!

???: Woah!

???2: Who are you?

Kayla: Hey, I'm a survivor, just like you!

???: R-Really!? Wow, were we lucky to find you.

Bryan and Tricky left their hiding spots and introduced themselves.

Bryan: What are your names?

???2: Not important. We should get moving.

???: Do you know where any other survivors could be? We have a base, and it's safer there.

Kayla: Well...I'll tell you later, it's...complicated.

Now wasn't the time to tell them about the whole pet thing, we need to go to their base so we can have a safe place to chat.

We looked in the rooms, but all we found was a first-aid kit, so that was a bummer.

We went out into the hallway-did I hear something.

Kayla: *whisper* Get down!

We went back into the room, and leaned against the wall. ???2 hid behind a potted plant, though it didn't cover her completely.

I caught a glimpse of the protogen walking by, and I held my gun ready. Bryan had the same idea, so I gave him a nod, and we fired. 2 protogen fell to the ground, but one tried to claw at me. I backed out of the way, but I tripped and fell onto the floor. Bryan shot some more, and that protogen was down.

???: Let's get a move on. More could show up.

Maya P.O.V.

What do we have here? 2 humans walking in this supermarket. With a quick swish, I cut their throats.

???: Gurgle...*choke*...

Wow, one is even trying to cling on to life. Maybe if they try hard enough, they might live for the next minute.

*BBTZ*

Hm? That sound, it came from the pocket of the human. I picked it up and saw...a walkie talkie. I pressed a random button, and-

???: Come in, how is it going? Over.

Hm, someone on the other line? I could try and aSk PoLiTeLy but I highly doubt that's gonna work. I clicked another button and it seemed to cut the connection.

I looked at the corpse, and saw a mini map of the entire store. Not that it was necessary, we already have the whole town mapped out.

The other body had a book. I opened it, and began reading.

"September 11th

Today is the day everything went to hell.

It may seem like a crappy movie script, but believe it or not, aliens invaded Earth. But not the green, bug eyes ones that was to steal your brains. I mean the fluffy ones. Fluffy creatures with some sort of robotic parts came here. Oh, and they murdered everyone."

So this was a diary, huh. Skimming through the pages, I found and interesting entry.

"Dear Diary

I...have forgotten what day it is, but it isn't important. The important thing is the base. When I was hiding in my office, someone came in. It turns out there is a resistance! I am in a run down mall, on the edge of town, that thankfully, the protogen (I heard that the monsters were called) haven't searched it yet."

Heh, idiot. Now because of this human's foolish hope, we now have an idea where the remaining humans could be.

The diary had nothing else noticeable. The walkie talkie started making that sound again, and I had an idea. So I pressed the button.

???: Is anyone there? Do you copy!?

Maya: Wh-Who is this...?

???: ...!? Who the fuck are you...!?

Maya: M-My name's A-Amelia...

???: How did you get your hands on this device!?

Maya: I found it on someone's c-corpse...

???: What does the corpse look like?

Th-They have a black backpack, brown hair, a-and a blue T-shirt...

???: That sounds like...fuck, okay. Is there anyone else with you?

Maya: No, I-I'm all alone...

???: First of all, you're human, right?

Maya: Yeah, I-I am...

???: Send your location, NOW.

Maya: A supermarket, one that has a huge crater in the p-parking lot...

???: We're on our way. Stay hidden, and make sure those freak protogen don't catch you.

Hmph, freaks they call us. This human doesn't' even know...

Maya: Wh-Who-

*BTTZZZZ*

And now, I wait. went out, and called over some other protogen, and told them everything. Now, let's see what a squad of puny humans will do against 22 protogen.