Chapter 8: Will there be trees?

Liläk looked in disbelief as his father's title as olo'eyktan was passed to someone else. She never thought she'd see a day in which her dad wasn't the leader, the protector of the Omaticaya. They would leave after the ceremony.

She took in everything she could see of the tree of souls, the smells, the sounds. She took in the trees around her and the way they danced with the wind. She felt the ground under her feet...the humidity of the dirt. Were there even going to be trees where they were going? Was the dirt going to feel the way it did in her home...how was their tree of souls going to look like? Would they even be allowed to commune with it?

Their father walked in front of the group...at least he was still going to be leading her family. Liläk was the last one, she gave the tree one last look doubting for a bit. Someone took her hand softly, leading her away. She didn't have to look to know it was Lo'ak.

She flew in Pìwopx soaring through the skies as she took in the sites of her home one last time...still absorbing as much as she could. She saw her brothers and Kiri looking behind them, they had all grown up there and now they were flying away to never return. Her dad yelped at them as he pointed towards where they would go. She followed through.

She hadn't spoken to her parents ever since they had last talked and they yelled at her. She flew besides Neteyam, wondering about their destiny.

-What are you thinking about?-Neteyam asked her.

-Do you think they'll let us stay?

-The Metkayina?

She looked at him at the question.

-No, Norm's mom...

Lo'ak sneered from beside her, laughing at Liläk's remark.

-I don't see why not...-Neteyam answered calmly.

Lo'ak approached his sister from the right.

-They don't fly ikrans there...-he commented.

-Well I'm not letting Pìwopx go, so...-she thought out loud while she stroked her ikran's neck.

-I've heard they have a double eye lid.-Neteyam chimed in. Kiri slowed down so she could hear her siblings conversation and answered Neteyam.

-They probably do.-She said.-I mean they spend all day under water from what I've heard...

-You're all being prejudiced, it's like saying we spend all days in trees.-Liläk intervened.

-As if you didn't...-Lo'ak told Liläk.

-Oh shut up! I just like climbing.

-There might not be any trees around here for you to climb.-Neteyam said, grimly. Liläk sighed.

-Yeah I know...

-I just hope they're nice.-Kiri commented.

-I'm thinking they won't like our hands.-Lo'ak said.-I mean, the Omaticaya where used to five fingered freaks but I don't know if the Metkayina have ever seen one.

-Who are you calling freak?-Kiri questioned.

-Who cares about your hands?-Liläk retorted. Lo'ak looked at her with a "be serious" face.-Look, if any Metkayina focuses in your or Kiri's hands and are bothered by them just because they are slightly different they're skxwangs, plain and simple.

-Yeah, whatever...-Lo'ak knew it wasn't a big deal...but it had been for some Omaticaya and he knew that no other Metkayina would have the same hands his dad and Kiri had.

Night came and a storm broke.

-Sìltsan Pìwopx! (Good Pìwopx!)-Liläk exclaimed as her ikran screeched slightly, nervous with the storm.-Sìltsan (good).-She repeated as she patted her neck.-frawpo (it's okay).