Chapter 19: Rage

The only thing that could be heard for a long time were the cries of Neytiri and the waves hitting the rock. No one else dared to move or make a sound. Lo'ak was in shock, a few tears had fallen down but ultimately, he was in utter disbelief.

He kept thinking about Neteyam's urgency. His brother kept worrying about Liläk as he was taking him to the shore..."if something happens to me, what will happen to Liläk?" He kept repeating through coughs. Lo'ak understood that in such a time, he would be worried, but this was more than just that...Lo'ak kept thinking about it, repeating the words as if they held some secret message only he could decipher...until it hit him: he wasn't worried about Liläk being sad or upset, he was worried about Liläk dying if he did...panic took over his body, they had no way to know right away if she was alive.

-Dad...dad.-He called. Jake forced himself to look at him, he was tired, he was so, so tired of it all.-Liläk...-Lo'ak said, his voice half-cut as he chose his next words.-do you think she's...she couldn't have, could she?

Jake looked at Lo'ak. For a moment he was confused, but then, the heaviness in his eyes was replaced with understanding, he straightened up and he closed his eyes slowly.

-That's not possible, right?! She couldn't have just died, could she?-Spider exclaimed from beside him. To Lo'ak's surprise, he sounded worried. He spoke fast, urgently, trying to rule out the possibility entirely.

-We don't know how it works!-Lo'ak screamed exasperated.

-No. No. I won't allow it! She has to be alive...she has to!-Neytiri said, her voice breaking in every word. She had still not let go of Neteyam, she couldn't even imagine the idea that Liläk could have died with him, it was unthinkable, it was too much.

-Jake!-she called in desperation. He was the one who was a twin, he was supposed to know how it worked. But Neteyam and Liläk were not like the twins he knew, they weren't even like him and Tom...but it was his genes and he was alive, right? Right?!

-It can't be.-Spider said in disbelief.

-No, no. She's alive.-Jake's voice was low, strained, he didn't know for sure, but he wouldn't even voice the mere suggestion out there. The world couldn't be so cruel, it couldn't. He put a hand on his eldest son's head, caressing lightly as Neytiri's cries broke his heart to pieces each time.

-Please don't be...-Jake muttered quietly. But his voice trailed away as Quaritch made himself heard through Jake's ear piece.

-Can you hear me corporal?-A pause. Jake tensed up, a rage so intense forming inside him, he didn't even dare to breath.-Yeah, yeah I think you can. I got your daughters, all three of them.-Jake looked towards the burning ship in the distance, his heart dropped, but a small relief took over him as he realized that his words meant that Liläk was alive.-Same deal as before. You for them...I wouldn't take too much time, corporal, I have been containing myself to kill Liläk after out little encounter in the forest and she has already killed three of my men since I met her...if you're not here in a while I'll kill her, like I should've the moment I had her.

-She's alive. She's alive.-He growled, a blank expression on his face.

-How do you know?!-Neytiri said while she sobbed.

-Quaritch wouldn't be threatening me to kill her if she wasn't!-he screamed, angrier than any of them had ever heard him.- Where are your sisters?-he asked Lo'ak harshly.

Lo'ak's ears lowered.

-Your sisters, where are they?!-He repeated, the idea of his daughters alone in Quaritch's grasp making him blind with rage.

-I don't know.-Lo'ak muttered softly.

-Where are they?!-Jake repeated once more, approaching his face to his son.