Chapter 14: Payakan, a proposal and Kiri

The next day, everyone wanted to know where Lo'ak had been all day. Aonung and Rotxo were on better terms with everyone now and they were much nicer than before. This came as a surprise to Liläk, since she didn't really see Lo'ak and Aonung make peace.

She was sitting next to Tuk as Lo'ak was explaining them what had happened. Apparently, Lo'ak had been saved by a Tulkun. Liläk had never seen one, but they were described by the Metkayina as majestic creatures.

-I wish I'd been there.-Kiri said, smiling and with wondrous eyes.-The ocean blessed you with a gift, brother.-she said seriously.

But the metkayina were puzzled. Tulkuns moved in packs and they had long migratory cycles, hence why they only came back after a long time.

-The Tulkun have not returned yet...-Aonung said while leaning on a tree.-and anyway, no Tulkun is ever alone.-he completed while leaning forward.

-This one was.-Lo'ak commented.-He had a um...a missing fin. Like a stump, on the left side.

-Poor Tulkun.-Tuk mused. Liläk smiled at her sweetness.

-Payakan.-Tsireya said severely.-It's Payakan.-She told the others.

-Who's Payakan?-Kiri asked curiously.

-A young bull who went rogue...-Rotxo said from beside Liläk.-he's outcast, alone and he has a missing fin.

-They say he is a killer.-Tsireya told Lo'ak urgently.

-No, no...-Lo'ak said, sure of what he had seen.

-He killed Na'vi and other Tulkun.-Aonung explained to Lo'ak. It was weird seeing him be nice to them.-Not here...but far to the south.-He added.

-No he's no killer.-Lo'ak insisted.

-Lo'ak...-Tsireya called him softly.-You're lucky to be alive.

-I'm telling you guys! He saved my life! He's my friend!-He told them all.

-I believe you...-Liläk mused, she knew her brother, she knew he wouldn't lie.

-My baby bro...-Neteyam said as he approached Lo'ak. He put his hands on his shoulders.-Mighty warrior! Faced a killer Tulkun and lived to tell the tale.

Lo'ak stood up as he grunted annoyed.

-You guys aren't listening!-he declared. Tsireya sighed in defeat. What Lo'ak was telling them was imposible for the metkayina, they knew the Tulkun and they had heard the stories of Payakan.

-Lo'ak I'm listening!-Tuk said.

Lo'ak shook his head as he left.

-Lo'ak come back!-Kiri begged.-You skxwang...-she said to Neteyam who sighed tiredly.

Liläk stood up and followed Lo'ak. She wasn't going to stop him from leaving, but after yesterday, she wanted to know where he was going to be in case anything happened. She gave Neteyam a look as he passed by his side.

-Where are you going?

-I doubt you care...-Lo'ak said as he kept walking.

-You know I do.-Liläk said. Lo'ak stopped walking and turned around. He sighed.

-I'm sorry...he saved my life Liläk, he's not bad, they just...they don't get him...

Liläk sighed as she nodded understandably...She put her hand on the side of his head.

-Just be careful, okay?

-Always.-Lo'ak answered.

Liläk chuckled at his answer.