Chapter 17: He's here.

The next day it was raining. Liläk always enjoyed the rain and it reminded her of the forest, so she went to fly on Pìwopx to be able to enjoy it properly.

As she landed, she saw Tsireya, who was looking at Pìwopx with wide eyes.

-Easy girl, easy.-Liläk told her ikran as she saw Tsireya. Pìwopx wasn't exactly hostile, but she could be whenever strangers were around her.

-Hi!-She told Tsireya as she pat Pìwopx's neck.

-She's very beautiful.

Liläk smiled at her comment, but she could feel there was something bothering both of them. She reminded her face when Tonowari told him she had disappointed him.

-I'm sorry that your dad scolded you yesterday.-She told her, softly, not taking her eyes out of Pìwopx.

-I hate disappointing him...-she could hear Tsireya say sadly.-but sometimes they don't understand.

Liläk smiled a bit. Yes, sometimes parents didn't understand...she was glad it was kind of a universal thing.

-No they don't...-She sighed. She trusted Tsireya, maybe she could speak to her as opposed to always going to someone in her family.-my mom she...-She stuttered.-I feel like there's no way of making both of us happy...It's either one of us gets it the way they want or the other...I don't want to disappoint her but...I try so hard and she still doesn't see me.-Liläk looked at Tsireya, she was quiet, looking at the two thoughtfully.

-You can pet her if you want...-she told Tsireya as she motioned to her ikran. Tsireya approached slowly, almost unsure. She put herself opposite to Liläk and she touched Pìwopx's neck. Neither of them said anything for a while.

-I'm sorry...-Tsireya told her.-My mom is hard on me too...I always think there is going to be something we do or happens, that is going to make them realize we are not them.-she said the last part with hope. Liläk smiled. Maybe she was right...it was good to have someone else's perspective, as opposed to whatever Lo'ak, Neteyam or Kiri would say.

-Thank you.-Liläk told Tsireya, smiling once more and thankful that, at least after all, she had found a friend there.

-What for?-Tsireya mused confused.

-You never gave up on me and you listen to me, like really listen to me...I never had anyone back home besides my family...I've never had a friend before.-Liläk told her truthfully, without looking at her, still having trouble opening up to people. But Tsireya smiled, seeing much of herself in the Omaticaya.

-I've never had a friend before either.-She told her.

Pìwopx screeched as she spread her wings. Tsireya and Liläk laughed, maybe they were supposed to find each other after all.

As they walked back the village together, they realized something was wrong. Ronal was very upset, they could tell she had been crying. Tsireya approached her worriedly and Liläk went to find her family, feeling afraid of the sudden possibility that maybe Quaritch had returned...she tensed up, searching for them everywhere. The Metkayina were running all around in worry, they were all reuniting near a hut, where Ronal and Tonowari stood in the centre.

-Lo'ak!-She screamed, looking around everywhere, but all she could see were people running around quickly under the rain.-Kiri! Dad!

Someone bumped into her. Neteyam.

-I was looking for you.-He told her hurriedly.

-What happened? Is everything okay?-She asked him urgently, dreading his answer.

-Yes, yes...I mean, they found a dead tulkun beyond the reef...it had a tracker.

Her heart dropped...the sky people were close...which meant that Quaritch was close. She tried to burry her anxiety filled thoughts, as they walked to where the Metkayina were gathering.