17. Chandini's Interrogation

Apparently, when Chandini said she would stay with Spencer for the evening, she neglected to mention that it would become the weekend

The apartment is empty when I get home, and for a few moments, I stand on the threshold in silence. The heater hums, having awoken at my presence, but everything else is quiet. The kitchen and living room are just as I've left them, with no trace of Chandini's pantry raid. No doubt, she'd already discovered where I hid the candies from Halloween. 

Because I'm still floating from my date and Ezra's kiss, I don't pay attention to Chandini's absence until the early hours of the morning, when Riya wakes me up from my nap on the couch with her incessant spam-texting. 

"What?" Blearily, I call her number and drop the phone on my shoulder, lolling back to sleep. I'm in no mood to bless her with courtesy. I doubt anybody would be, if they were called at four a.m., after all. 

"That's nice," Riya snickers. "How was your date? Was it fun? Where are you?"

"Fun, yes, and home," I yawn. "Is that all?"

"Geez, someone's snappy. It's morning, isn't it? Wake up!"

"If by morning you mean before six, then yes, it is." I turn on my back and rub my eyes. "Can't you look up the time here first and then call me?"

"I could have, but I was too excited!" Riya laughs. There's a faint sound of the TV that buzzes behind her, no doubt a Desi Serial playing. "Come on, cuz! Spill the deets!"

Again, I yawn. "Call me again when I'm awake," I say, then pause. "By the way, how's Mausa?"

"He's doing better." Relief fills Riya's voice. "He had a coughing fit yesterday, but I think he's fine now. We took him to a clinic today and the doctor prescribed some pills to him. He's been napping since he took them. How are things with you? How's Chandini? Did you pay the rent yet?"

"Chandini's fine. She was with Spencer last night but she should be home today," I respond. I pull myself into a sitting position and pull the fluffy blanket over my shoulders, swaddling myself in the warmth. Eyeing the pile of mail on the table, I nudge it with my toe over the edge. "The bills are okay too. I got a job thanks to Aceline, so everything's fine here."

"Good," Riya says approvingly. She hesitates, and I can hear my Mausi yelling in the background. "I have to go. Ma's in one of her moods." I can practically see her rolling her eyes. "Meera," her voice becomes soft. "Please, don't lie if you're struggling. If you need anything, let me know and I'll come straight back, okay?"

"Pfft, with what?" I scoff even though I'm smiling. "Your student Visa is expired. How can you come back?"

"Watch me," Riya says. "From what you've told me, everything seems to be going fine, which is great! I trust you, cuz, but seriously, if you're beginning to f everything up, just give me a call and I'll be halfway over the Atlantic."

"Sure, whatever." I laugh. "Talk to you later, Riya."

"You too. Bye." A second passes before she hangs up, and after she does so I stare at the pile of white envelopes that have scattered on the ground. The glee in my heart is killed by a rainstorm of doubt and it sours my mood. With a grunt, I push myself up from the couch, pausing to stabilize my legs, then toss the blankets over the envelopes.

Pieces of crap, I scowl. I'll worry about those later. Perhaps I should call Aceline and ask her again about her friend's job?

My thoughts are in disarray as I stumble down the hallway, half-asleep, searching mindlessly for the bathroom. My time in there is quick, and I disregard changing my clothes in favor of brushing my teeth and combing my hair. If somebody shows up, at least I'll look somewhat presentable.