39. The Hacker

"Where are you going in such a rush?"

Sam and Chandini both sit on the couch, perplexed as I rush from the hallway to the living room, then back into the hallway again. Sam's sister is also here with her kid, which takes some of Chandini's attention away from me.

"I have an urgent work thing," I say between breaths, rummaging through my bag. "Damn it! Where's my laptop?"

"Here." Sam picks it up from the coffee table and hands it to me, frowning. "How do you know that something happened at work? Did you get an email or something?"

"No, my co-worker called me," I say, combing my hair back in a rush. "Will you guys be fine here? I'm sorry to call you at the last minute, but I don't feel safe leaving Chandini home alone, and since there wasn't anyone else and I can't trust Eli..."

"Don't worry about it. I wasn't doing anything anyway," Sam says casually. He pats my shoulder and offers me a small, supportive grin. It's reminiscent of Ezra, and my heart shifts uncomfortably. "Good luck, 'kay? Hopefully, everything is fine over at SmartLet headquarters."

I snort, and the smile that I return to him is crooked and foreign. When did I last smile? Was it at the reunion? "Thanks, Sam."

"Anytime."

A horn that sounds like the early morning screaming of a rooster blares from outside. Chandini and Sam's sister wince, and the baby in her lap abruptly begins to cry.

"Damn, what a sound." Sam winces. "Please, hurry up and get the hell out so I don't have to hear that again."

Chuckling, I jab him in the shoulder. "You'll be fine, princess. I'll see you later."

"Yeah...and I'm not a princess!"

"Whatever." I stoop over Chandini and kiss her forehead. She grimaces, evidently still pissed that I won't listen to her. Well, she's not the adult here.

"I'll be back soon," I tell her. "Behave."

"Sure." She rolls her eyes. "Bye."

Teenagers, I sigh, rushing out and into the elevator. God, I hope the kid is quiet like Spencer.

Aceline is waiting for me in the lobby. Her handsome, polished car sits in front of the doors, still thrumming from the energy that the engine exerts. She taps her foot anxiously, politely but shortly responding to the bellboy when he speaks to her.

"Meera!" When she notices me, she runs over and grabs my hand. "Come on. Ashleigh's going mad and she needs both of us there."

"Why?" I stumble when she begins to run. "What's going on, Aceline?"

"There's something up with the servers," Aceline replies. She helps me get into the car and buckle my seatbelt. "She wants all the managers for an important meeting." She guns the engine and we shoot off down the road.

"Must be big, then," I say. Aceline nods, and when we near the upcoming red light, she glances in my direction.

"What happened with you and Ezra?" She inquires hesitantly. "You mentioned something on the phone, but you didn't say what."

"Oh, er..." I bite my lip and with every second that passes, Aceline's stare deepens and sharpens like a knife twisting into my body. My eyes sting. "I broke up with Ezra."

"What?!" Aceline slams on the brakes. Luckily, we're at a red light, so it doesn't upset any of the cars behind us. "Why? What did he do?"

"Nothing," I say. "He didn't do anything...it was me."

"You?" Aceline frowns. "What did you do?"

"I...I was being a burden to him," I reply softly. "I have so many issues in my life, Aceline, and I could barely make any time for him. I was holding him back, and I didn't want that for him, so..."