Prologue

~{Prologue}~

"Kate? Are you ready?" I heard James call from downstairs.

I took one last look in the mirror at my outfit. I'm wearing a deep red dress that reaches just above my knees. It has lace all over it and quarter length sleeves. It has a small scoop neck. My brown hair is in beach waves with a few strands of my blonde highlights. I have on little jewelry and make-up. I hurry out my bedroom door and down to where James was waiting.

I gave a smile when James froze in place and stared at me coming down the stairs.

"Kate, you look absolutely gorgeous." I laughed at his words and hurried down the rest of the stairs.

I gave him a small peck on the cheek before hurrying out the door, and I heard him grunting behind me. I was still running when I felt an arm wrap around my waist, stopping me from running any further.

I turned and saw James grinning down at me. I laughed and said, "You couldn't have gotten me if I hadn't had heels on."

James let go of my waist and took my hand. "I'm sure that's true. Now, enough with the games. We have to get going. I have something special planned for you tonight."

I assented and followed him to his car. In just a few minutes, we were driving through the city of New York as fast as traffic would allow. Every few lights, James would impatiently tap on his wheel and let out an impatient grunt.

I laughed at him and asked, "Why so impatient?"

"I have a schedule that I'm not on time with," he impatiently replied.

"Since when do you have a schedule?" I asked with another laugh.

"Since I joined the military," he said as the light turned green.

The car became silent. I slowly pulled my hand out of his and turned to look out of my window. I could feel him sneaking glances at me. I didn't turn my head a single time until we reached the restaurant.

I was moving to open the door when James touched my arm and said, "Kate, we have to sort this out first."

I sighed and turned to look at him. "There is nothing to talk about."

"Kate, you know that isn't true."

"What do you want me to say? Do you want me to say that I'm alright with you going overseas for a year and half? I'm not, and you know that I can't lie to you!" my eyes began to water.

I could feel his eyes on me. I turned my head away so he couldn't see my eyes filling with tears.

I heard him shift in his seat. I felt his hand softly take my hand in his.

"Hey," he began, "You don't have to hide your tears. I'm sorry for pushing you."

I turned my head and carefully wiped my eyes, trying not to smear my makeup. "It's okay. I'm just going to miss you."

He smiled and cupped my face with his hands. "Me too."

I smiled back and backed away from his hands and opened the car door.

"Want to go eat?"

"You sure you'll be okay?" He asked.

I nodded. "We can talk about it inside."

"Okay."

~-~-~-~
"Thanks so much, James. I had an amazing time," I told him as we buckled our seat belts.

As it turned out, James had picked my favorite restaurant. We did talk more about the fact that he was leaving. Even though I still was unhappy and sad, I knew that it would be okay.