Chapter 4

~{Chapter 4}~

Turns out he wanted to ask my permission to marry Beth. Why he wanted to ask my permission is a mystery, but I did, hesitantly, give my permission and blessing.

I know that I should be happy for them, but it just reminds me that she has all the happiness while I have all the hurt and suffering. I do not see how that is fair in any way. I love her, but I just wish something would go right in my life.

"We're here," Josh said.

I looked up from my phone and looked around me. I was greeted with smiling people and the same old stores. I looked to the center of the town and saw the old white gazebo and white benches. He drove towards the local diner and parked.

"It hasn't changed a bit," I told him as I hopped out of the car.

"It hasn't, but you have."

I gave him a weird look before walking into the diner. It was just like I had left it. The same outdated decorations and seating. There were a few tourists, but it was mostly empty. I spotted Beth immediately and hurried over to her.

Before I could sit, a familiar lady grabbed me and pulled me into a hug. "My dear Kate! It's so good to have you back. We've all missed you and can't wait to hear about your experiences in the big city. Anything you want to eat is on the house!"

I pulled out of her hug and said, "It's good to see you too, Mrs. Tucker."

She smiled at me and turned to Josh and said, "Thanks for bringing her by my dear son."

"I knew you wanted to see her, Mom. I also knew that she would be hungry."

She laughed at her son's response and said to all three of us, "I guess that's my cue to leave!"

She hurried off to the kitchen, giving me a chance to sit down and avoid any more talk. Beth smiled at me and took a sip of her lemonade. She looked at Josh expectantly.

"I asked her," he said.

"And?" she prodded.

"She said she's fine with it."

She rolled her eyes. "I'm pretty sure that she didn't say that, but I think you have some work to do."

"Yeah. I'll put her luggage in your car, babe," he said as he turned to leave.

"I don't think so mister," she said as she tapped on her cheek.

He laughed and gave her a peck on the cheek. She laughed and pushed him to get out. He gave her another peck and hurried out the door before she could push him again. I felt myself cringe as I watched this exchange. It just reminded me of what I had lost.

I guess it was pretty obvious that I was upset because she looked at me with concern and said, "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to bring back memories."

I shook my head and gave her a fake smile. "It's fine. You can't let my memories change your relationship with him. I'll get used to it."

She gave me a grateful smile. "I know that it probably wasn't the best time to bring up all this love stuff. I just wanted to get your blessing. I know that you know how much I value your opinion and blessing."

I nodded my head. "I know."

She sighed and said, "Thank you. Now, let's eat."

I quickly chose what I wanted to eat, and we had a great lunch. Despite the fact that everything was going right for her, I knew that I needed to accept it and support her.

After lunch, she took me to the small bed and breakfast. This had not been here when I left. I noticed that it looked just as old as the other buildings. However, when you stepped inside, it was like you were in a whole different world. It had modern furnishings and fixtures. To balance the modern out, there were walls covered in white shiplap and other rustic finishes. There was a large fireplace on one wall.