Chapter 26

~{Chapter 26}~

I find a way to stop gawking at her and turn to glare at Matt. He gives me a look as though he is sorry, but I scoot my chair out and stand up to leave.

"So that's what you couldn't tell me? Great move," I say, irritated.

I quickly walk away and hear someone calling out my name. I ignore the call and keep walking. I do not stop walking until I reach the edge of the event. I stop and take a deep breath, closing my eyes in the process. I slowly open my eyes when I feel myself slightly relaxing.

"You left pretty fast," I hear a voice state from behind me.

I turn around and find myself facing Harper Wilson. She has a crooked smile on her lips, and she is looking me up and down with a steady gaze. Her strawberry blonde hair is back in a ponytail, and she is wearing a structured dress that looks like it has a large price tag.

"I guess I did," I reply.

"We haven't been formally introduced. I'm Harper Wilson. You must be Kate Garner," she introduces herself as she holds her hand out for me to shake.

I hesitantly shake it. "Nice to formally meet you."

She releases my hand and sighs. "I take it Matt withheld some important things from you."

"Only a few," I say in a slightly sarcastic tone.

"Listen, Kate, I know you don't really want to talk to me, but I think you need to hear the truth from someone else other than Matt or your friend," she tells me as she sits down at a nearby bench.

I walk over and sit down. "Really? You honestly think you have the right to come to me and say I need to listen to you."

"I don't have any rights. I just think you deserve to hear the truth from the person who screwed Matt over," she says.

"Fine."

She nods and starts. "I met Matt at his recording studio. I immediately saw him as an opportunity. My ratings for my last movie were down, and I needed a boost in my image. Here was a young and handsome up and coming musician really wanting to have a true hit. How could I pass that opportunity up? We started talking, and I got him to agree. I'll let you know that he was fully aware we were going to use each other, but he didn't know the full extent of what I was going to do or try to do."

"And what was that?" I ask.

"I was going to dump him as soon as I got what I wanted, not what he wanted. I was going to start rumors about our relationship and possibly cause him some trouble in his career. I acted like the sweet girl people thought I was. I tricked everyone into telling me things. When I got the information I thought I needed from Matt, I tried to start my plan. I never got to do that because information was released about me, and I was the one who got in trouble. Matt was portrayed as a victim, while my image was being torn apart," she explains.

I open my mouth to say something, but Beth walks up and asks, "You okay, Kate?"

I look at her and give her a small smile. "I will be. Though, I just want to know why you didn't tell me about any of this."

She sighs. "I was going to, but Matt convinced me not to. But, I guess you're getting all your answers right now."

I look over at Harper and say, "I am."

Beth nods and waits for a second before walking off, leaving me alone with Harper again. "I'm not sure about that," Harper says.

Counting On ForeverOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara