Chapter 27

~{Chapter 27}~

"Hi, Kate. I was just calling to tell you that I really enjoyed last night. Thanks for being willing to meet with me and talk," Matt's message says as I play it back while in my office the next day.

I smile and call him back. I pull up a book to edit on my computer as I wait for Matt to pick up.

"Hello?" he asks when he answers.

"I just wanted to thank you for the kind message, and I had a good time, too," I tell him.

"Thanks. I was worried that you wouldn't think so. I know it hasn't been the easiest having me back and all," he says quietly.

I smile. "Well, I did. I've got to go, but I'll hopefully talk to you later."

"Sounds good. Bye," he says before hanging up.

I set the phone down and start editing. My thoughts drift away from thinking about Matt, and I am able to focus on my work. It allows me to have everything I need finished, completed by the end of the day.

At six o'clock, I am already packing up my things to leave. This is the first time I have finished my work before seven-thirty or later in a long, long time. Beth walks into the office with a surprised look.

"What's going on here?" she asks me.

I smile. "I finished everything I needed to, and I'm going home to relax and watch a Hallmark movie."

"Well, I guess there really is a first time for everything," she teases.

I roll my eyes. "I guess so. Can you lock up for me?"

"Sure thing! Have a great night watching your cheesy romance movie without me," she says jokingly.

"If you're going to play that card, then I guess you can come," I say.

She laughs and smiles. "Just kidding. I have a date night planned with Sam again."

I pick up my bag and purse and put them on my shoulder as I say, "Sounds like fun. He's such a romantic, isn't he? Well, I'll see you later."

She nods and laughs as I walk out of my office and out of the building. I unlock my car and place my things in the passenger seat. I then get into the driver seat and drive the short distance to my house.

I walk inside the house and set my things down. I rush up the stairs to my room to put my pajamas on. I pull my hair into a messy bun and clean my face, leaving no makeup on. I then hurry back downstairs to the kitchen where I fix myself some chicken and mashed potatoes. I pop some popcorn after I finish making my dinner.

I pick up my food and take it into my living room. I set all of it down on the coffee table and sit down on the couch. I unfold the blanket that is on the edge of the couch and place it on top of me. I am about to start the movie when my phone rings. I sigh and pick my phone up.

"Hello?" I ask.

"Kate. I need to tell you something," Matt says in a small voice.

"Um, okay?" I reply in a questioning voice.

"Promise me that you won't freak out," he almost pleads.

"Okay," I say again with curiosity and hesitancy.

"When you showed up in New York City a year ago, I was shocked yet happy. When you told me about James, I knew that I couldn't push for anything. I needed to let you heal. When I needed a friend, I got your message about the call you got from Harper. That's when I knew I had made a huge mistake. I came back to South Hart to recover, but I also came back see you. Kate, I still like you more than a friend. That's why it took me forever to be able to muster up enough courage to talk to you and ask for forgiveness."