Chapter 30

~{Chapter 30}~

The next day, I wake up in my hotel room and find all the events from last night flooding back to my memory.

Mr. Parker was leaving at the same time I was, so he gave me a ride back to the hotel. All he said was that Matt was right in what he had done. I said a quiet goodbye to him and his wife before quickly jumping out of the car.

I had hurried up to my room and had immediately taken off my dress and gotten ready for bed. The minute my head had touched my pillow, I had fallen asleep, escaping the world for the night.

I sigh and slip out from under the covers after going through everything that happened last night. I walk to the living area and sit down on one of the couches. What happened last night may not seem like a huge deal, but it is a huge deal to me. It took me back to my childhood and not exactly a good part of it.

When I moved to South Hart, I was not always welcomed with open arms. On the contrary, people were very wary of me, and it took awhile for James and me to convince them that I was trustworthy.

Even before South Hart, I was not exactly welcomed anywhere. James was the first person who had taken the time to get to know me. He was the first one to give me a chance at becoming something more than an outcast.

Where does Matt fit into this? Well, after James died, I was left broken. Matt was one of the people who helped me through that. He was the one with me when it was James' first death anniversary. Matt was the one who did not push me into a relationship despite having feelings for me.

Sure, he messed up, but James did too. I can not hold that against either of them. Is it possible for me to love someone else while still loving James?

Wait, did I just say that? Do I love Matt? Is that what this is? Is that why I was being so strange last night?

Just then, my phone buzzes, interrupting me from my rambling and unexpected thoughts. I unplug my phone and look down to see yet another text from Matt. He has been texting me since last night, and I still have not answered any of them.

My phone begins to ring, and I see that it is Matt. I bite my lip and take a second to think about whether or not I should answer the call. I finally sigh and answer.

"Yes?" I ask quietly.

I hear him sigh with relief. "I thought you would never answer. Kate, please tell me what's wrong. Why did you run off?"

I sigh. "I'm not exactly sure, Matt. I'm just confused, and I needed to get away so I could think."

"Okay. Kate, just please remember that I like you too. I like you a lot, and I don't want your feelings or whatever they are to keep you from talking to me," he says kindly.

"Matt, I really can't talk about this right now. I especially can't talk about it without being face to face with you. I need to go, but I'll see you tonight," I say, trying to end the call.

"Alright. I'm holding you to that promise," he says before hanging up.

I sigh as I set my phone down. I sit for a few more minutes before standing and getting ready for the day. I slip on a casual chic look and put on a small amount of makeup.

The book event starts tonight at six-thirty, and it is another black tie event. I am looking forward to it, but at the same time, I am slightly hesitant. If last night was an example of what it will be like tonight, I am not sure I will actually enjoy it.

I sigh at my reflection in the mirror and pick up my purse and walk out of my room. I ride the elevator down to the lobby and walk out of the building and down the street.