Chapter 17

I want y'all to know there will be quite a bit more about my faith and beliefs in the next two chapters. I want to let y'all know that I'm not trying to push my faith onto anyone. It isn't my intention to offend anyone.

These next few chapters are filler chapters but important for character development. Exciting things will happen soon.

Please enjoy and please be respectful.

______________________

~{Chapter 17}~

The next day is Saturday, so I walk into town to go eat at the Tea Room. I need to eat something light because I am going for a run after I eat, and I do not want to throw up.

I walk inside the cute little lunch place and order a sandwich and a bottle of water. I pay for my food and receive it almost immediately. I sit down at a table in the corner of the small building and bite into my sandwich.

Ring, ring.

I unlock my phone, not bothering to look to see who it is, and say, "Hello."

"Hey, Kate," Matt's voice says.

I smile. "How's my favorite musician doing?"

He laughs. "Better. Thanks for your advice. Once I focused on what you said, I really felt the words coming. I can't wait for you to hear it!"

I laugh. "Me neither! Has your manager heard it or seen it?"

"He's on his way over. I wanted to call you so I could calm my nerves. I'm so worried."

"A supportive manager will look beyond the money and the fame. If he's the manager you need, he'll listen and give you support. Just take a deep breath. I know you'll do amazing."

"Thanks, Kate. You always know what to say."

I smile. "I'll talk to you later, okay? I have to go on a run to clear my head."

"Okay. Are you alright?" he asks worriedly.

"I'll tell you later. Good luck! I'll pray for you!" I say.

"Thank you! Talk to you later," he says before hanging up.

I throw my trash away and leave the Tea Room. I plug my earphones into my phone and place them in my ears. I turn my running playlist on and begin to jog down the street back toward James' and my field. I jog down a faded trail and let my thoughts take over.

Mr. Parker was right about how my emotions are going to try to get the best of me because of the Devil. I already feel myself going back to the person I was after James' death, and I do not want to go back to that person. I have come too far to go back to that sad woman.

I have gotten my true joy back, and I can not let Satan take that away from me. I have stopped blaming myself, and it needs to stay that way. I know I will see James' again, so I should be happy for that. I just have to take it one day at a time.

Trust me.

"I will, God. I will," I whisper as I quicken my pace.

I look down at my watch and see I have been running for almost an hour. When I get near to my house, I start sprinting and ignore the feeling of my legs burning. I have to finish strong.

When I reach the steps leading to my front door, I stop and take a second to calm my breathing.

Finish the race.