Chapter 20

Mostly a filler chapter, but a few exciting things happen...

______________________

~{Chapter 20}~

"No, dark chocolate is way better," Beth argues.

"Beth, honey, I'll buy you dark chocolate whenever you want it, but it doesn't mean I think it's better. Milk chocolate will always be the best," Sam replies calmly.

"No! Kate, help me out here!" she exclaims as she turns around in her seat to look at me.

I raise my hands as if I am surrendering and say, "No thanks. Please leave me out of this."

She sighs and turns around to continue her "argument" with Sam. We are on our way to Bark, the neighboring town that Beth is dragging me to. Actually, I guess I willingly came, but I did not expect myself to be third wheeling this much.

I mean, they are an adorable couple, but their cuteness sometimes drives me insane. Then again, it is nice to see Beth so happy. Sam is the right guy for her. I mean, he puts up with her ridiculous arguments.

"We're here!" Beth exclaims as Sam parks his car.

I groan at how loud her voice is. "Please keep it down. How can you be this awake? It's only nine o'clock."

She just laughs as she unstraps her seatbelt. "C'mon! This trip is all for you!"

I roll my eyes and step out of the car. "Whatever. I think you just brought me along so you could witness my pain."

They both just laugh, and Sam gives Beth a kiss on the cheek. "I'll see you in a couple of hours."

Beth nods, and Sam hurries off to go to his meeting. I roll my eyes at how cheesy they are, and Beth just rolls her eyes at my reaction.

"Don't act like you've never seen anyone kiss someone on the cheek. Now, stop gaping. Let's go inside," Beth says as she opens the door to the bookstore.

I laugh and walk inside. I am immediately drawn to the little bookstore. Not only is the place relaxing and my type of habitat, it is also full of people who are book lovers just like me.

"Welcome to Bark's Bookstore! What can I do for you?" a cheerful woman asks us as we walk inside.

I smile at her and say, "I'm Kate Garner, and I believe we told you I was going to be here today for the book authors event."

The woman smiles and holds her hand out to me. "Yes, of course! Please follow me to the back where the event is happening."

I smile as she leads us to the back. The back is full of authors sitting behind small tables. Many of them look slightly afraid and nervous.

"Are there any authors here who are struggling to get an editor or publisher?" I ask the woman.

"Yes, though I don't know which ones are and which aren't," she replies.

"Thank you very much."

"Of course. Please enjoy yourself!" she replies before quickly walking back to the front desk where she waits to greet a new customer.

I turn to Beth and say, "I know this will probably bore you, so I suggest you go do something you want to do."

She laughs. "You know me so well. Are you sure?"

I nod and gently nudge her away from me. She finally turns and walks away, leaving me alone to go visit with each author. I spend at least an hour visiting with authors before I reach the very last table.