Chapter 29

~{Chapter 29}~

Two weeks later, I find myself back in the city that never sleeps with blood pumping through my veins in anticipation for the book event. Mr. Parker gives me amused looks as we travel through the busy streets of New York City inside his limo.

"I'll meet you in the lobby at six-thirty. It's only about twelve o'clock, so you will have plenty of time to get ready," Mr. Parker says to me as soon as we reach the hotel.

I nod. "What is this dinner for?"

"This is the dinner for exclusive guests who will be attending the event tomorrow. Tonight is just a time for some businessmen and other people to get together and talk. My wife will also be joining us," Mr. Parker explains as someone gets my luggage out of the car.

I nod. "I'll be ready. Again, thank you so much for inviting me to come."

He smiles. "My pleasure. Tell the front desk you're my guest, and you should be able to get settled in quickly."

"Thank you," I reply as I wave goodbye and walk into the hotel.

I immediately notice the expensive furnishings and the well-dressed people milling around the huge lobby. I find myself feeling underdressed in my nice dark blue jeans with a blazer. I hurry to the front desk and tell them what Mr. Parker told me to tell them.

He was right. I am taken immediately to my room. Actually, it is more like a penthouse than just a hotel room. There are huge windows that allow natural sunlight to stream in, along with a full view of the bustling city. There is even a small kitchen.

I tip the bellman and walk into the separate bedroom. It is just as nice as the rest of the suite. I pick up one of my suitcases and lay it on my bed to unzip it. I carefully take out my nice dresses and hang them up in the closet. I pick up my other suitcase with my normal clothing and also lay it on the bed. I then begin to unpack the rest of my clothes.

Ring, ring!

I finish unpacking the last piece of clothing and run back out to the main living area and quickly get my phone out of my purse.

"Hello?" I ask, not bothering to see who is calling.

"How's New York City treating you this time?" Matt asks.

I smile. "Just fine. I forgot how refreshing the city can be. By the way, this hotel room your father got for me is to die for. It's huge and more like an apartment!"

He laughs. "Well, that's what you get when you stay in one of my dad's hotels."

"Are you serious?" I ask.

"Yeah. You didn't know about the rest of his businesses?"

"Nope. Was I supposed to?" I ask, still slightly shocked.

"I guess not. Anyway, I was just calling to see how you're doing and to let you know that I got an earlier flight, so I'll be in the city tonight."

I smile. "That's great! When will you land?"

"Well, I'm sitting in the plane right now. We should be taking off in about ten to fifteen minutes, which will allow me to get there by the time of the event tonight. Oh, someone else is calling me. I'll have to talk to you when I get there."

"Sounds good. Bye," I say right before he hangs up.

I set my suitcases on the chairs in the room and lie down on the bed. I get my laptop out and edit for a couple of hours before turning off the lights and taking a nap.

When I wake up, I look down at my watch and see that it is already almost five. I quickly run to the closet. I grab one of the dresses off the rack and toss it onto the bed, forgetting that I need to place it gently on the bed.