Chapter 1

~{Chapter 1}~

Almost a year had passed since that perfect evening with James. Since then, I had been planning my wedding to the man of my dreams. A steady stream of letters and emails had come from him until about two weeks ago. I kept telling myself that he was just busy. To be honest, I was pretty worried. I knew that he was busy, but I also knew how faithful he was with keeping up with me. Everyone told me not to worry, and I wanted to believe them.

"Kate?" I turn at the sound of my name being called and see my wedding planner walking towards me.

I was in a little bistro right outside of New York City. As I stated earlier, I've been planning really hard for this wedding. I wanted it to be perfect. After all, you only get married once, right?

I smile at my wedding planner and stand to give her a hug. As soon as we settle into our seats, we began to plan. I have already chosen my colors and the number of bridesmaids and best men. My colors were seafoam green and peach. I had my dress picked out, but I still had to pay for it. James and I agreed that he would wear his uniform. The venue and caterer had been picked out. All we had to do now was pick who we wanted to send the invitations to. I knew that we would invite James' family and my friends back home, but I really wasn't sure who else I should invite.

The next couple of hours flew by. Before I knew it, it was time for me to go back to work. I gave my wedding planner a hug goodbye and headed to my office building.

I have my dream job as a book editor. Yes, I know that sounds weird, but I really do enjoy books. The weird part was how young I was. I am only twenty-one, but I was already a pretty big book editor in New York City.

"Welcome back, Ms. Garner," my receptionist greeted me as I walked through the door.

I smiled and returned the greeting.

When I entered my office, I saw a big manuscript sitting on my desk. I smiled and got to work. The hours flew by with me underlining sentences, crossing out sentences, and drawing lines all over the pages.

"Ms. Garner?" I look up to see my receptionist in the doorway.

"Yes?" I ask.

"I'm taking off if that's okay?"

I nod and stretch. "Have a good night."

"You too," she replies.

I continued to edit, but I was soon hardly keeping my eyes open. I finally lean back in my chair and turn around to look out of my huge windows. Bright lights were shining all over the city. Cars honked, and I look at the few stars and thought of James. I smile and close my eyes.

~-~-~-~
"Hey, you! Stop running! Quit running!" somebody called after me as I ran down an alleyway.

I could hear the person on my heels, so I tried to throw the person off by swerving in and out of corners. It didn't work. The person was gaining on me. I slightly turned my head and saw a guy running after me. All of a sudden, I tripped over something and fell on my face. I tried to get back up, but I heard myself groaning in pain.

The guy approached and sat down beside me. He carefully helped me up off of my stomach. As soon as I was sitting upright, he gently took my arm in his hands to examine it. I winced as he touched the spot where I fell.

"Why'd you steal it?" he asked as he continued to look at my arm.

"Wh-what are you t-talking a-about?" I stuttered.

He lifted his head to look at me. "You know what I'm talking about."

He lowered his head back down, but not before I saw his blue eyes sparkling with a little amusement.