Chapter 9

~{Chapter 9}~

"Want me to stay with you tonight?" I ask Beth.

We're in her living room. After Josh left, I took Beth back to her house, and I spent the rest of the day with her. I knew she was suffering, and it was time for me to be the supporting friend.

"You have work in the morning. I think I need to have some time alone for a bit, but I really appreciate all that you've done today," she replies.

I give her a comforting smile and a warm hug. After I leave her house, I realize I have to go back to my office to get my things and my car. While I'm in the office, I see that I have a couple of interviews scheduled for tomorrow. I sigh and grab my things before I hurry out to my car.

Ring, ring!

"Hello?" I ask as I pull out of my parking spot.

"Ms. Garner. I'm so glad you answered because I have some news for you," Mr. Parker's voice says.

"Yes?"

"Well, I just received an interesting phone call about a book that needs to be edited. The person lives only a couple hours away from you, and they specifically asked for you to edit it," he tells me.

"That's great! Are they coming to meet with me?" I ask him.

"They want to meet with you tomorrow. They called me because I'm a friend of theirs. They wanted to make sure they could see you as soon as possible."

"When tomorrow? I have interviews to do tomorrow."

He sighs. "I have no idea. If they come during an interview, have someone else do the interview or reschedule. If they want the job, they'll come back."

"Mr. Parker, I can't reschedule on them. I need these employees," I tell him.

"You also need this book to edit. They requested to have you as their editor," he says.

"I'll figure something out. Is there anything else you need to let me know?" I ask, switching the subject.

"More like a favor."

"What's that?"

"My son."

"What about him?" I ask, surprised.

"I don't know if you've heard yet, but he's become quite a big deal in the world. He's struck a record deal, and he's currently promoting his new album."

"Why does this involve me?"

"He needs to take a break in privacy. Some of the media has been all over him, and he wants a secluded place that he can relax in," he explains.

"You want to see if he can stay in South Hart, don't you?"

He chuckles. "Yes. What about your place?"

Okay, I want to help this guy, but I really don't want him staying in my house for a long period of time. He can visit, but it would just feel weird to have him stay at my place. I don't even know him.

"Kate, you there?"

I go back into focus and say, "What about your sister-in-law's place? I'm sure she wouldn't mind seeing her nephew. Also, I'm kind of hesitant to have someone I don't know stay in my house. There's also no telling when I may have a melt down."

"I understand, Ms. Garner. I think it would be nice for him to stay there with a relative, but he needs a place to record some music. It's also going to be a time for him to get some work done as well."