Chapter 8

~{Chapter 8}~

"Miss Garner?" I look up and see my new secretary in the doorway.

"Yes?"

"That man is here for his interview."

"Which one?"

"The one who wants to be our business advertiser."

"Ah, yes, let him in. Also, make sure that you're in here with a notepad and a pen or a pencil. I want you to be taking notes," I tell her.

She nods and leaves the room. In just a couple of minutes, she is back with the man. I spend a few minutes with him before deciding that he isn't right for the job. I do the kind thing and tell him that we'll have to call him in the next few days.

I let my secretary go back to her work, and I sit and stare at my computer. I only have one book that I can edit, and I'm almost finished with it. There haven't been any books sent in to be edited. I know we just started, but I have a lot of money on my shoulders. I can't let my branch fail.

I didn't start the New York City branch. I just took over after the chief editor retired. This is a whole new world for me, and I'm scared that it won't work.

Knock. Knock.

I look up and see my secretary in the doorway once again. "Yes?"

She clears her throat and says, "I have a woman who wants to meet with you about one of her books. She's worried that you won't see her because she didn't make an appointment or anything."

It takes a lot of will power for me to not jump out of my chair in excitement. "Please, send her in immediately!"

She can tell I'm really excited, so she smiles at me and hurries out of the room. I quickly clear off the few papers that are on my desk and sit up straight in my chair.

"Miss Garner, this is Miss Anderson. She's here to talk about her new book," the secretary tells me as she brings in Miss Anderson.

I thank her for bringing her, and I ask Miss Anderson to sit. I start to ask her a few questions before I ask her to bring her book out. I glance over the book and am impressed with it. The storyline is really good, and her writing is fantastic!

I tell her that I would be happy to be her editor, but we have to draft a contract. She excitedly agrees and leaves with a huge smile on her face. I give a sigh of relief. There's still hope for this branch.

A few hours pass of me working, getting information on people who want to be interviewed, and a few phone calls. I'm drafting a contract when I get a distressed call from Beth.

"Kate? C-could y-you come o-over to my house?"

"Beth, what's the matter?" I ask her worriedly.

"I can't tell you o-over the ph-phone. Please hurry!"

"I'm on my way," I tell her as I grab my jacket and hurry out of the building.

I nod to my secretary and receptionist as I walk past. I walk out of the building and into the street, planning on running, but I'm kept from doing that. There are a lot of people in the streets. I forgot that everyone is preparing for the annual Thanksgiving parade. Loads of people have come into town just for this. This and the Christmas celebration really attracts people for the holidays.