2014-NYC-01: Party of the First Part

December 19, 2014

The first time had been a drunken fluke.

"Are you coming to the party?" Amber asked, standing in my doorway with a party hat on her head and a green drink that sloshed when she waved it towards me.

Startled, I looked up from the contract I was proofreading. "Hmmmm?"

"Come on, girl! It's Friday night, and the fun has started. That cute guy from One Direction is here tonight. I know you're still new around here, but we work hard, and we play hard. It's the way things are at MPP," (which is the first time I'd heard our firm referred to by initials instead of its full name: Marriott, Phipps & Philmore, LLP), "So put that fucking contract away and come play with us," Amber pouted, raising her glass above her head before yelling a "Woohoo!" that practically made my ears bleed.

"Oh. Okay. I'll be there soon," I reassured her, plugging my headphones back in to finish the agreement in front of me. After all, the client would expect it to be perfect on Monday. There was a tingle of excitement in my stomach. Which cute guy from 1D? I hoped it was Liam.

It was after nine o'clock on a Friday night, and I felt confident I had put in my 80 hours for the week. My eyes would barely stay open without toothpicks. On the other hand, I didn't live far away. Five subway stops. What would it hurt to cut loose and enjoy myself for a bit?

Finally finished with the contract, I printed it out. As I stood up to get the legal document from the printer, my pastel floral dress twirled around my knees, and I was suddenly excited to see how it responded when I danced. It had been way too long since I had a night out.

I heard the strains of Pharrell Williams' "Happy" floating through the 22nd floor of our building, and it got my hips moving. The song conveyed the feeling for which it's titled, and it made me smile. As one of the newest junior associates, I didn't yet know everyone. Paul is the partner who hired me, and I spied him near the open bar. He waved me over, handing me a shot glass full of green liquid as I arrived at his side.

"Here, Vanessa!" he laughed, "You look like you need a little pick-me-up."

I took a sip and smiled. "It's kiwi! I adore kiwi!"

Laughing, he encouraged me to down it before handing me a replacement, "It's a Tekiwi. Kiwi and tequila. Drink up!"

The music had switched, and "All About that Bass" was playing. I found myself dancing with Todd from Accounting for a while and then Mark, another junior associate, cut in. My skirt twirled exactly as I thought it would. It was fabulous fun, and by the fifth or sixth song, I was out of breath. My head was spinning and my throat was dry, so I grabbed another of those amazing tekiwi drinks.

"Yum!" I told someone I had seen around the office. Damn. I really needed to learn names faster. The guy smiled at me, asking me to dance just as "Timber" by Pitbull started playing. "Hell yeah!" I called out to him, jumping up and down.

As the song came to an end, a handsome guy magically was standing in front of me, holding out another of those delicious drinks. He was blurry, but I thought I recognized him. "Oh, snap! You're the guy from One Direction!"

He got the cutest, most sheepish little grin on his face, rubbing his hand on his jaw before saying in the sexiest accent I'd ever heard, "Wanna dance?"

"Turn Down for What" started playing, and we gyrated to the beat. When the music changed to "Dark Horse" by Katy Perry, he wrapped his arm around my waist, pulling me in close, sliding his knee between my legs. Oh, my! The sensation felt amazing on my lady bits, and I enjoyed grinding on his thigh throughout the song.