2017-NYC-38: Writ of Habeas Corpus

May 9, 2017

I'd fallen asleep, but the ringing of the phone woke me up. Grabbing for it, I was both relieved and disappointed that it was Karl.

"Hey, honey. How was your day?" His voice across the phone line was soft and gentle, as is nearly everything about Karl.

Blowing out a breath of air, I debated what to tell him. He'd been so hurt seeing Harry last month at the hockey game, knowing that I'd kept secrets from him. So I revealed all.

"That client I had this morning? It wasn't real. I mean, we got paid for the time and everything, but it was really a ruse to get me to Rockefeller Plaza to hear Harry's music." I couldn't read his silence, so I just continued on. "When I realized what was happening, I stayed for a few minutes to hear the song, but then I left. I'm waiting for him to call so I can tell him...."

My voice faded off because I wasn't sure what words I would use with Harry. "I'm sorry, Karl. I'm not sure what I'll tell him. Other than I cannot be part of his life right now. Maybe not ever. It was a nice dream to stay friends with an ex, but the reality is so much more challenging."

This time, I outwaited him until he finally cleared his throat. "I'm sorry, Vanessa. I know that will be a difficult conversation for you. Do you want me to come over afterwards with some ice cream? We can watch a violent movie to clear your mind."

Despite my mood, I smiled. Karl was a gem. How lucky could one girl get? To have a first relationship with someone as amazing as Harry and a second with a guy as wonderfully thoughtful as Karl?

"You, sir, know the way to a girl's heart. I'm going to say no for tonight, but can we please do exactly that tomorrow night?"

"Yes. Of course we can! Your place or mine?" His hearty voice catapulted me into the future again. One in which I could picture Karl playing a prominent part.

"Karl?" I asked, trying to add a seductive quality to my voice.

"Yes, Vanessa?" he picked up on my vibe, I think, based on the way the timbre of his voice changed.

"Would you...." I paused. Was this the right time? Yes. Yes it was. "Would you please get tested for STDs? I've been tested, but I'll get tested again next week."

I heard his intake of air. "Are you sure you're ready, Van?"

Always so sweet, my Karl. "Tonight I'm not. But after this conversation with Harry, I will be."

"Then I'll get tested this week, too," his gentle voice reverberated across the phone line, and although I wasn't dripping with wetness for him just yet, I'm sure that was because I was tired and had this whole Harry thing in front of me. After that, naturally my lady bits would be excited by Karl. He was handsome and kind and perfect in nearly every way.

==========

When Harry finally called back, I was in fact eating ice cream on the couch and watching the Jason Bourne series. Alone.

"Brains?" he asked eagerly, "You wanted to talk? I think I saw a glimpse of you today at the show. What did you think? It was a fun crowd, wasn't it? I made them move the stage lower so I could be closer to the fans. I didn't want to be up so high that I would be looking way down on them. And they sang along to "Ever Since New York" even though I'd only sung it that one time on Saturday Night Live. It was so much fun. And did you hear them singing the lalalalas on 'Carolina'? Holy shit. What a high, Van! Oh, and what did you think? I know Townes is a dog and won't care about the fact that the song is a mixture of you and her, which is why I invited you and not her....."

I think he would have continued, but I interrupted. "Harry. We need to talk."

"Oh." His deflated puff of air made it clear what he'd hoped when he called. "You unblocked me though."