47: Motion for Summary Affirmance

June 24, 2018

Harry insists we fly to DC, and I don't argue. At the airport, we wait for the entire plane to board before we sneak out of the lounge and onto the flight. As the last ones on, we aren't subjected to the stares of most passengers, but there are a few around us who can't take their eyes off Harry. Not that I can blame them. Seated next to him in first class, I buckle my seatbelt. He reaches for my hand, and my eyes dart around in fear.

"Someone might see or take a picture," I whisper.

"Let them," he whispers back, grinning and waggling his eyebrows which causes me to laugh. Allowing him to caress my fingers as he pulls my hand into his lap, I relax. I watch his cross tattoo as his thumb rubs its way over my skin.

"Tell me about work, Brains," he insists. "Meeting Amber and Vinnie makes me want to know more about your relationship with them." I spend the rest of the trip sharing information about my colleagues and our adventures, causing him to shake his head at our shenanigans. "I had no clue that my lawyers are such dorks when they aren't on conference calls with me."

"Oh, your lawyers aren't. They're completely straight-laced all the time," I attempt the lie, but can't pull it off, my giggles escaping as the wheels touch down in Washington, DC. My cheeks hurt from continuously smiling. I can't seem to stop. Nor do I want to try. His protective hand on the center of my back as he steers us off the plane is comforting, and I imagine that my spine lengthens as I stand taller, honored to be at his side.

Is this what it's like to actually be Harry's girlfriend?

At the arena, Mitch wraps me in a hug, lifting me off the ground and spinning me around. Into my ear he says the sweetest words, "Missed you. Glad you're back. Hope you stay this time." Placing me on the firm ground, he backs away and introduces me to Sarah. While I hold out my hand, she hauls me in for a tight hug.

"Anyone who gets that kind of greeting from my sedate boyfriend deserves a hug," the lovely drummer winks.

Pride shines on Harry's face as Clare and then Adam step forward to shake my hand. "This is CHASM," Harry sweeps his hand over the group, gesturing to himself as well, and I watch as they blush. His tour photographer, Hélène, is a tiny woman; I tower over her. She snaps photos of the group, including me in some of them.

"Is it okay, H?" she asks, her French accent strong as she gestures to me.

"She's part of the fabric of our tour now, so yes. Please include her," Harry informs the photography dynamo, "Besides, the majority of songs I wrote are about her."

The band studies me with renewed interest as I clasp my arms protectively over my stomach, wishing he hadn't revealed that tiny tidbit. I wasn't sure anyone other than Harry and I knew that little fact, but I guess when my....um....Harry decides to go public, he's all in.

The next hours are a whirlwind as I meet a variety of crew members. Harry tugs me along behind him from Sarah's Kitchen to the sound techs to Kacey's dressing room.

Squealing when I walk in, her eyes widen as Harry places his hand solidly on my back, indicating ownership to anyone paying attention. Skipping, she clutches me to her, jumping up and down so that I have to do the same. "You're the One!" she screams. "Oh my god! You're the One!" Her band likely doesn't understand what's happening, but Kacey knows. Her joy for me is heartwarming.

When she finishes her hopping, she grasps both my hands and stares into my eyes. "You are perfect for him."

"Ah, but is he perfect for me?" I tease, and Harry grimaces, possibly because he knows there's a hint of truth in my question.