2015-NYC-16: Witness for the Defense

September 10, 2015

"Come to the Intercontinental Hotel in Times Square after work, Van," Harry's pleading voice came across the phone, "I want to see you."

Turning away from Amber, I wrapped my hand around the microphone at the bottom of the phone and whispered, "Is that allowed? I thought you were working."

His giggle is cute and not very manly, but it's all Harry. "You'll come as Jeff's guest."

The words he said didn't compute. Jeff? The guy who threw a fit just two weeks ago because Harry and I had a contract?

"Um. Excuse me? I thought he hated me."

"Doesn't hate you, Brains. He was just wary. But it's all good now."

Sure it is, I thought. The only way to make sure that Jeff was okay with us was for me to actually show up and talk with him. So I relented.

"Okay. After work." With that whispered comment, I hung up, turning around to find Amber staring at me.

"Secret, Van? Something you want to share with the class?" she asked pointedly.

Um. No. Absolutely not. So I simply grinned at her and returned to my work.

"You know you'll just tell me eventually," she smiled cunningly, but I knew that Amber would hear the news from TMZ before she heard it from me. Not because I'm rude or mean, but rather I refuse to share my deepest secrets with her since she can be a little gossipy, and Harry was at the top of the confidentiality pyramid.

Amber hung around the area outside my office until well after the end of business hours, wandering past my office, gazing in. I sighed, knowing she was like a pry bar on a cheap lock if given the opportunity. Finishing the last bit of research on my desk for the day, I gathered my purse, deciding to leave my briefcase and computer at work rather than cart them to the Intercontinental. My hope was that Harry would come over that night, and I wouldn't have time (or energy) for work. If you catch my drift.

Naturally, my colleague raised her eyebrows as the heels of my strappy white sandals click-clacked past her. My black pencil skirt was paired with a sleeveless black and white geometric patterned shirt, and I felt breezy and sexy. Which is exactly how one wants to feel when meeting the best friend of the guy you're fucking on a regular basis. Right? Although "regular" is a misnomer since it had been two weeks since I'd seen him, and he would be going away the next day for quite a while.

I laughed under my breath as Amber scrambled for her purse and briefcase, slinging both over her shoulder as she caught up to me at the elevator.

"Big plans tonight?" she asked, pressing the button for the lobby.

"Actually, yes," I revealed, and I felt her lean in towards me, hoping to hear more.

"Ohhhhhh," she let the single word slide through her lips as though she was a Southern belle when I know for a fact she had never been farther south than Jersey. "Do tell!"

Upon arriving at the lobby, we exited together, and I immediately headed for the alley. Amber recoiled. "That's your plan tonight?!" Her voice was filled with disgust, and her features were twisted in a way that conveyed the same emotion. "Hanging out with him?" The way she stressed "him" made my stomach acid want to rise up and pelt her with bile.

"He's my friend," I commented with equal parts anger and compassion. It's not Amber's fault that she doesn't understand the plight of Marvin and his friends. From her glass tower, she hadn't had much reason to become acquainted.

"You said you had big plans," she accused.

"I do. I'm taking Marvin for a meal. It's Thursday, our date night," I fired back at her.