Because there are no second chances in death (part 03)

"Oh, but he isn't the actual Merlin. Nor is he a wizard," Granny said. "He is a collector of magical objects."

"Of course, he is," Ever responded.

"Yes. He has something that will enable us to do a spell to fully resurrect you."

"And that would be...?"

"His PISS."

"Excuse me, his what?"

"P.I.S.S.," Granny kindly spelled out.

Ever narrowed her eyes at the elderly woman, her bewilderment yet to be resolved. "Yeah, I know how to spell it. But why the hell—"

"Pendant for Incredible Summoning Spells," Walt explained, "is the full name for it."

"Seriously? You guys couldn't have picked a better acronym?"

Walt replied, "Well, the pendant has been around for so long. It might even predate the word 'piss' itself."

Ever shook her head with a long sigh. What was adding one more weird thing to the already weird world of psychics, right?

"Okay, so what does it do?"

Walt said, "It's essentially a magnet for spirit energy. Unfortunately, true resurrection spells require much more energy than the three of us can produce at once. So, we need the pendant in order to gather enough spirit energy for the spell that'll fully bring you back."

"Where does this Merlin guy live, then?"

Ever had to admit that the prospect of not having to become a zombie was relieving to hear. It didn't even seem too difficult to acquire given how the pendant's owner was an acquaintance of Granny.

Granny stepped back in, "Merlin lives in the wonderfully mythical state of Wisconsin."

"Wisconsin?" Ever repeated. "That's so far away."

"It'll take about a day by car," Walt said. "Warrick and I have driven there before."

"Ugh, Wisconsin," Warrick groaned. "Do I have to go with you this time?"

There was a particular reason for his reluctance to visit the northern state. It all had to do with one girl...

"Suck it up. You don't have a choice," Walt said, glaring at him. He turned to Ever. "You have to come with us, too."

"What?" Ever replied. "Why?"

"Like I said, we're your life battery. You'll have to stay close to at least one of us or you'll immediately start to decompose again."

"Can't I stay here with your grandma, then?"

Walt narrowed his eyes at her. "Sure, stay here and feed off the person with the least amount of spirit energy left."

"Hey, don't talk like that!" Warrick snapped. "Granny is still in her prime!"

"Oh, but my hips sure don't move like they used," Granny said. "I used to be able to ride those wolves until the full moon came and gone."

Yup, definitely need to check out Howlers. Warrick mentally noted. He was sure to go straight into the app store after this whole conversation was over.

"I'd rather you only get your energy supply from Warrick and me as much as possible," Walt said. "And it'd be better to get it from both of us at the same time since two batteries are less straining than one. For the battery, I mean."

"Alright, fine. I'll go with you," Ever sighed. Under her breath, she added, "I can't believe I have to go on a road trip with two strangers."

Overhearing her, Warrick said, "Strangers? Wait, you don't know who we are?"

"Huh?"

"Don't you go to Liberty High School?"

"Huh?!"

"Aren't you also friends with Peyton?"

"HUH?!"

Warrick tilted his head at his brother. "Walt, I think she's broken. We must have gotten to her too late. Maybe her brain's already started to rot—"

"My brain is fine!" Ever snapped. "I just... didn't expect you guys to go to the same school as me."

"I'm pretty sure we ran into each other a few times in the hallway. Your name's Forever Lee, isn't it?"

"Yeah, but I just go by Ever."

"Ever, right."

Walt said, "I guess we should give our introductions too, then. I'm Walter Henley, but just Walt is fine."

Ever nodded.

"I'm Warrick Henley."

Ever was about to give another nod when Walt added, "He likes to go by Rick."

"No, I don't!" Warrick shouted furiously.

"Rick Henley," Walt insisted.

"Stop, Walt!"

"Rick. Got it," Ever said, finding Warrick's frustration to be rather entertaining.

"Not you, too!"

Walt smirked. "Rick—"

"My name's... not... Rick!!!"

"Hello there, Never. I'm Granny."

• • •