Because only live bodies feel warm (Part 01)

"What's taking her so long— I mean, we're back— I mean, I can talk again!" Warrick exclaimed with joy. "Thank god I didn't have to be stuck barking for another ten chapters."

After their entire reversal sequence, the three teens were back in front of Ever's house like in the beginning of chapter three. Ever was pretty sure her parents were home since they usually were on Saturday nights.

"You're not getting off?" Warrick asked, slowly growing used to talking normally again.

"I am..."

Ever grabbed her backpack full of stuff she barely used during the two-day road trip. She didn't even change her clothes once. Even if it meant going back into that house with her parents, she could really use a shower. But before opening the door, she had a question.

"But will I be alright without you guys near me?"

Walt replied, "Since we live in the same neighborhood, it should be fine. But if at any point you feel like something's wrong, call me immediately."

"Or me!" Warrick said.

Ever got the twins' numbers earlier that day. She couldn't remember the last time she added in any new numbers to her phone, always having hung out with the same group of friends since freshman year. But she had to admit that it was rather nice knowing she had people she could contact and not have to care about putting up an image for. She could even ask them for genuine help.

"Sure... Thanks."

She added that last word in quietly. While Warrick completely missed it, Walt didn't.

"Bye, Ever," Walt said warmly. "Oh, but we'll have to meet up again tomorrow to search for the PISS."

The somewhat touching moment instantly got ruined by the mention of the pendant with an unfortunate name. Ever nearly sent the twins a smile for a second there, but now her mouth was back at a neutral line.

"Okay. I'll come over tomorrow morning."

"Sounds good."

"See you tomorrow, Ever," Warrick said.

Ever got out of the car and watched it drive off to the next block where Walt and Warrick lived. She walked up to her house and wished it were actually the twins'. At least they had a nice grandma who would welcome them back. Not only was Ever's own nice grandma gone, but neither of her parents was likely to ever greet her at all.

"Where have you been?" Ever's dad asked the moment she came in.

Ever scoffed. "Like you care."

"Forever Lee," her dad said sternly to stop her from heading up to her room. "You've been gone for two whole days. At least before, you would return home the next morning."

"And having your daughter be gone all night is perfectly fine? You didn't even call me once. Stop pretending like you care about me. I know you don't."

"Forever!"

Ever stomped upstairs to her bedroom and slammed the door shut, locking it behind her. She tossed her backpack wherever and immediately collapsed on her bed. While she was overdue for a shower, she couldn't care less about that anymore and just wanted to sleep.

Her stomach growled, making Ever regret refusing the twins' offer to grab dinner together earlier. She took one peek at the window. It led to the roof of the front porch from which she could carefully climb down and get out of here. She had done so several times before. Whether her parents were aware of that or not, they didn't do anything to stop her anyway. They could have easily changed her room to face the backyard so she could no longer escape through the window, but neither could be bothered.

"I'm not staying in this fucking house."

She grabbed her backpack and opened the window. Standing on the roof, she lit herself a cigarette and set off into the night.