Because only live bodies feel warm (Part 02)

"Oh, if it isn't Never," Granny said, opening the door.

The elderly woman caught the smell of cigarettes on the girl, who had smoked two more before finally ringing the doorbell.

"Hello," Ever said awkwardly.

She wasn't entirely sure what compelled her to come back to this house. She could have just gone to her usual runaway places like the 24-hour diner, the park, or Liberty Woods— No, she wouldn't ever return there again.

"You'll come to regret smoking at that age once you get around mine," Granny said.

"Right..." Though I doubt I'll live that long...

"Well, don't just stand there. Come on in."

"Thank you..."

Not asking any questions must have run in the family. Granny didn't seem the slightest bit curious why this girl she had brought back to life a few days ago was randomly visiting late at night. All that mattered was that she now needed to set more utensils and an extra plate on the table.

"You came just in time for dinner, too."

"Who did?" Walt asked, coming down the stairs after a quick shower. "Ever?"

He only needed a single look at her to get the hint that something must have happened at home. He already had a hunch that she didn't have the best relationship with her parents from the way she talked about them.

"Uh, hey, Walt..."

"Now, don't just stand around like a couple of meerdogs," Granny said. "Warrick, call down Walter. Dinner's ready."

"Sure, Granny."

Walt went back upstairs to get his brother. Meanwhile, Ever followed Granny into the dining room, where the table was set with some pasta and meatloaf.

"Did the boys invite you over for a slumber party?" Granny asked, pointing at Ever's backpack.

"Um..." Ever wasn't quite sure how to answer that.

"Yeah, we did," Warrick replied, coming in with Walt.

Walt nodded.

"Why, that's lovely," Granny said. "We'll have to lay out some extra blankets in the boys' room."

"Can't she use Mom and Dad's room?" Warrick said.

"Are your parents not coming home tonight?" Ever asked.

"Nah, they only come home for Christmas. They travel all over the world to provide their psychic services."

"That must be nice..."

Warrick shrugged. "I don't envy them. Being on the road all the time sounds pretty exhausting."

Ever actually meant it must be nice not having any parents around, but she chose not to correct Warrick on that. Instead, she simply said, "Fair point."

"Oh, but that's no slumber party," Granny said. "You ought to have yourselves a threesome."

"A what?" the three teens blurted out together.

"You know, when three people lie together and—"

"Granny, stop!" Warrick exclaimed.

"—tell ghost stories in the dark."

"...Oh."

"Or have I confused the term for something else?"

"No, you're right, Granny," Walt stepped in. "That's definitely what a threesome is."

Warrick nodded. "Yup, haha..."

"Oh, I thought so. Well, we'd best get started on dinner so you three can go up and have yourselves a rowdy good night. But don't be too loud or you'll wake the neighbors."

"Sure, we'll keep the screaming to a minimum with the ghost stories," Walt said.

"Oh, I have the perfect story to get both of you shitting your pants!" Warrick said.

"Language, Walter!"

. . .

"And when the man swore he already ate the banana that morning, there were still two left in the fridge!" Warrick said, ending his supposedly "scary" story.

"......"

"...Guys?"

The three teens were lying side by side on the carpeted floor with Warrick in the middle, Walt to his right, and Ever to his left. Hearing his brother sighing heavily in sleep, Warrick turned to Ever.

He asked, "Are you sleeping, too?"

Ever had her eyes closed. She thought about pretending to be asleep to get Warrick to stop talking but truthfully replied, "No."

"Was my story not scary?"

"Nope. It was kind of lame."

Warrick frowned even though Ever couldn't see him. Then again, given the things he and his brother had seen and the things Ever had gone through, it was highly unlikely that any scary story would feel frightening to them.

"You can go sleep in my parents' room, you know."

"It's fine. I don't mind sleeping on the floor."

"It's not that..." Warrick paused. "There's something you should know."

"Okay?"

"So, my brother and I each have our own unique psychic abilities. In Walt's case, he gets glimpses of the future through his dreams. That was how we knew to come save you that day."

"Oh..." Ever already knew about Walt's power since she had overheard them talking during her brief moment as a ghost. "And what's your ability?"

"I can look into a person's thoughts by sleeping next to them. I guess this would be a good time to tell you that I saw the dream you had when we were sleeping in the car during our trip to Wisconsin. Sorry about that. It's not something I can exactly control..."

Ever instantly realized which dream he was talking about. It still vividly remained in her memories.

"You're such a liar, Ever."

"You're so fake."

"Is there anything real about you?"

"...Oh."

After giving her some time to let that new information sink in, Warrick continued, "Hey, I know it's not in my place to say this, but if you find it hard to be yourself around certain people, maybe it's a sign you shouldn't be around them at all."

That definitely wasn't in Warrick's place to say. After all, who was he to tell Ever not to hang out with her current group of friends? She could easily get up in anger and go sleep in the other room as the boy suggested. But something compelled her to stay right where she was.

There was a time when Ever's greatest fear was having her true self be found out. And yet, now that that fear had become a reality, it wasn't nearly as bad as she thought.

She turned her back toward Warrick, pulled the warm blanket up to cover her shoulders, and quietly said, "You're right."