When a ghost found forgiveness

Cooper led the way to his apartment, with Archer and Skyler sternly staying by Jack's side like two security guards even though it was apparent he'd make no attempt to run away. Once at the front door, Cooper said, "She's here."

"Is this your place?" Jack asked.

"Yeah, it's like all three of our places actually. Oh, and Rags—Ashlyn's. She's our roommate too."

Jack didn't welcome the idea of Ashlyn staying with three guys he knew nothing about, but this wasn't exactly the time to be concerned about that. He was moments away from meeting his dead girlfriend. He didn't know what to expect when Cooper fished the keys out from his sweatshirt pocket and opened the door.

"Hey, we're back, and we've kidnapped your ex," Cooper said to Rags who was standing right on the other side of the doorway.

"Jack..." she greeted with some sadness.

Jack, of course, couldn't see nor hear her. Archer and Skyler pretended they couldn't have any contact with the ghost either. They didn't want to risk Jack finding out about their identities and spreading rumors in school that they were psychic. Cooper, on the other hand, went to a different college than them and already had a solid reputation as the weird art school guy, so it didn't matter. He honestly thought it'd be cool to add ghost whisperer to his long list of odd yet impressive talents. Some other things on that list included being able to impersonate a dying fish and peel a tangerine in one hand while playing videogames in the other.

Archer and Skyler quietly entered the apartment and went into their respective rooms, allowing the rest of the former couple's reunion plan to commence. Meanwhile, Cooper still had one more thing he needed to do.

"Is she with us?" Jack asked, trying hard to spot even the faintest sign of his girlfriend around him to no avail.

Cooper replied, "Yeah, she's right in front of us. You can't see her because you don't like have the powers, man." He spread his arms out whilst walking only halfway through the door. "The time is now. Take over my body, Rags."

"Thank you, Coops," Rags said. One step forward and she gained a physical body again. She slowly turned around to face Jack and put a hand on his cheek, feeling the familiar touch of his skin. "Hi."

"Lyn, is it really you?"

Rags nodded. "It's me, Jack."

"I—" Jack could sense his tears coming and his throat constrict. To someone who wasn't aware of the situation, it would've seemed crazy for him to get so emotional in front of a male stranger. But despite what his eyes were telling him, his heart knew the truth. "I-I have so much to tell you, so much I need to make up to you..."

"I know." Rags caught the first of his tears on her thumb and wiped it off. "But I don't have much time left. I can't remain in this world forever. I have to leave soon."

The thought of permanently losing Ashlyn was what really got Jack to start crying uncontrollably. He gave Cooper's body a hug, imagining it to be the girl he once tightly held on to for three years. "I'm so sorry. I made the biggest mistake of my life that night when I cheated on you. I was just so stressed and frustrated with graduation coming up and not being able to be the greatest boyfriend I could be to you. I should've owned up to my faults and tried to better myself, but instead I let them get the best of me. I...I hurt you. I hurt you so much."

That was the moment when Rags couldn't hold back her tears anymore either. She leaned her head on Jack's shoulder, crying into his neck. The emotional pain of Friday night returned to her and reopened the wounds of her heartbreak. But this time, she wouldn't run away. She knew exactly what she had to say now. "I forgive you, Jack."

"What?" he breathed.

"You hurt me," Rags began. "But I hurt you too."

Jack broke his hug and leaned back to stare straight into Cooper's green eyes, remembering the beautiful light blue that belonged to Ashlyn's. With unwavering sincerity and apology, he said, "No, you didn't. You were being strict with me to find a job for my sake. I didn't appreciate you enough when it mattered—"

"No, that's not what I mean." Rags let out a deep sigh in mental preparation for what was about to be said. "I hurt you by killing myself. Dying on the people you love is the worst thing anyone can possibly do. So really, I hurt you a lot more than you hurt me."

"Lyn..." Jack could find nothing right to say back to her.

"You can't change the fact that you messed up by kissing that girl."

"I know, and I'm so sorry. I can't apologize to you enough..."

"But, Jack, you also can't change the fact that I loved you with all my heart. I loved you until my last breath. And I am sorry I had to be the one to put an end to us."

"No, Lyn. You shouldn't be the one apologizing here."

"Yes, I should be. You're the one who has to live on with my death. After tonight, I don't know what's going to happen to me. I'll probably no longer exist in this world."

Jack hugged Ashlyn once more as if his entire life depended on it. "No, don't leave me, Lyn..."

"Jack, I don't want you to blame yourself and never move on from this. I truly mean it when I say I want you to be happy. I want you to find someone who can love you just as much as I did and not let that love go to waste. Please do that for me."

Jack felt his next words would be the last he'd ever say to his departing girlfriend. He hesitated at first, wishing to savor this moment of soundless embrace for just a bit longer. Eventually, he did reply. "I will."

***

I have a question. Do you guys agree with Rags's decision to go along with having committed suicide and take part of the blame for Jack? She could've easily not forgiven him and made him live with the guilt of her death. Yet, she chose to lessen his burden by showing him she was wrong too.