Because you will get to places (Part 01)

The twins walked out of the cabin, leaving four cannibals crying in a group hug. "We've got to call Joe and bring him to his senses, too!" was the last thing they heard from Tom before shutting the door behind them.

Walt sent them a silent good luck for their journey to getting their life back on track.

"Hey, Walt," Warrick said, nudging his brother. "Where did you get that pamphlet from anyway?"

"At the gas station while waiting for the ramen. I just thought it was funny and wanted to show you guys. But looks like it actually came in handy."

"Yeah, definitely. But you find things funny? I don't think I've seen you laugh in years."

"My soul may be dark and dead, but I still have a sense of humor."

"Guys!" Ever called in the distance. She was on the single road out of this place. "Let's go!"

The twins caught up with her, and the trio was back in the car in no time. They drove for an hour on the highway before pulling up onto the side of the road to sleep for the night.

"We'll continue in the morning, so get your rest," Walt said. "It's been a long day."

"Wait," Ever said. "Did you buy the cigarettes at that gas stop?"

"Oh, yeah." Walt reached into his pocket and handed her the pack. "I got the ramen too, but Warrick slapped it out of my hand."

"Hey!" Warrick snapped at his brother. "We had to go save Ever. There was no time for ramen." As if to rebuke his own argument, his stomach growled.

"Bet that ramen would've tasted pretty good right about now," Walt remarked.

"Ugh..." Warrick opened the car door. "Ever, you're going out for a smoke, right? Let me go with you."

"Sure."

Ever quickly unwrapped the pack of cigarettes and stepped out of the car. She and Warrick leaned against the back of the vehicle, each putting a cigarette in their mouth.

"Hey, you have a lighter?" Ever asked.

Warrick dug through all his pockets but was left empty-handed. "Shit, I must've dropped it back at that cabin."

"Well, that's fucking fantastic."

The two of them sighed in unison, returning the cigarettes into the pack. They stood in silence, staring off at the empty street.

Once things started feeling awkward, Warrick cleared his throat and asked, "So, uh, when did you start smoking?"

"About two years ago... Because I thought it'd let me die faster," Ever admitted. Since he already knew about her suicidal tendencies, she figured it was fine to be truthful with him.

It was when about a month had passed since her grandmother's passing. The unending silence in the house was unbearable at that point, so she stole her dad's cigarettes and left. It became the first night of too many when she didn't come home for the night. But not once did her parents ever text or call. She assumed they didn't care whether she ended up dead in some ditch...

Or at some bridge.

"Lung cancer seems like a pretty awful way to go, though," Warrick lightly remarked.

Ever was glad he showed no judgment toward her response. The worst thing she could have heard was that she needed to brighten up or be mentally stronger, which were both things people had told her at one point or another. However, Warrick simply listened and accepted that it was her reason. There was nothing more to it.

"You say that, yet you smoke, too?" Ever lightly remarked back.

"Hey, I actually don't smoke that often."

"Then, why did you start?"

"My reason isn't as deep as yours. It was just out of curiosity."

"Really? That's it?"

"What, you don't believe me?"

Ever said nothing in response. Curiosity. That simple reason was what she told people, too. Of course, it was a lie to avoid having to talk about her honest problems. And that was why, for a moment, she wondered what sort of truth Warrick might have been trying to hide behind that generic reply, as well. However, she could find no hint of deceit on the boy's face. It was just as sincere as it always was.

As if he actually saw her as a genuine friend.

Ever shook her head. "Whatever, I'm going back in."

She headed back into the car to sleep off what felt like the longest day of her life.