Because it opens you up to new things (Part 02)

The second Warrick tried to whirl around and bolt for the door, the girl said, "Stop."

"Woof...!"

The girl behind the counter stared at the frozen boy in confusion. "When I cursed you to be my bitch, I didn't mean that in a literal sense. Why are you barking?"

Warrick looked at Ever. "Woof! Woof!"

"You want me to explain?"

"Woof!"

"Wait, before that, who are you?" Ever asked the girl. "Do you and Warrick know each other?"

"Oh, I guess he never mentioned me to you. I'm Jessie. Warrick and I used to date in middle school."

Ever recalled the conversation in the car from the day before. "So, you're the reason he hates Wisconsin."

"Is that what he told you?" Jessie said with a chuckle. But her expression darkened when she turned to Warrick. She walked around the counter and stood right in front of him. "You've grown pretty tall in the past few years. But you shouldn't be looking down at your master. Kneel."

As if he had become a marionette, he immediately moved to her command, dropping down to his knees. He now raised his head to look up at her. He was beyond embarrassed to have his secret kink be revealed to Ever like this. He wouldn't have even known he was into this kind of thing had he never gone back to see Jessie after their breakup in middle school. It truly was a life-changing experience.

"That's a good boy," Jessie said, patting Warrick's head.

"Woof..."

"Are you also a psychic?" Ever asked.

"Warrick must trust you a lot if he's told you that much about himself. Then again, seeing that red ribbon around your neck, you must be rather special to him. Are you his girlfriend?"

"Ugh, no?"

"Woo-oof!"

"Right, that doesn't make sense considering he's still my bitch. To answer your question, no, I'm not a psychic." Jessie grinned, raising her hand to produce a small flame in her palm, which she then blew out. "I'm a witch. And I placed a curse on Warrick in middle school to be my bitch in exchange for me giving back his PlayStation. Honestly, he can break the curse whenever he wants. But we all know he enjoys being a submissive."

"I didn't know that," Ever said, slightly disturbed to find out a little too much about this boy she went to the same school with.

"Well, now you do. Anyway, care to explain why he's barking?"

Ever figured she could tell the truth since Jessie was part of the magic world herself. "We just stopped by the house of this old guy named Merlin, and he sprinkled some kind of weird powder on him that makes him temporarily bark."

"Huh? You visited Merlin today, too?"

"What?"

"I had another customer come in earlier this morning asking for directions to his house."

"Wait, was he tall with black hair, hazel eyes, pale skin, and—"

"The worst dark circles imaginable?" Jessie finished.

Ever nodded. "That's him, the guy we're looking for."

"You're looking for him? Well, he did say he was from Freer City."

"Freer City?" Ever repeated in surprise.

Perhaps it wouldn't be so hard to find the boy after all. Freer City was where she and the twins lived.