When an idiot couldn't be awkward

"He was in the same class as us the entire time? Sky, we should really pay more attention to the other people here." Archer had his angry eyes locked on Jack who was seated a few rows away from him at the front of the lecture hall.

Skyler had no intention to stare in the same direction. He didn't want to start his morning class with the sight of the guy who cheated on his friend. Dully, he remarked, "There are eighty students taking this course, Arch. It's impossible to keep track of everyone. Well, the hot girls are memorable at least."

Archer gave him a hard nudge on the arm. "Could you stop thinking about hot girls for one second?"

"It might be easy for you to do, but as a straight man—"

"Just look at him!"

Archer pointed at Jack, fuming, to which Skyler reluctantly turned his head to the main scene of the room. Several people were gathered around Jack, giving him their condolences.

"I'm sorry about what happened to your girlfriend."

"You guys were the cutest couple. We'll all miss her."

"Hey, I hope you're doing okay though."

Archer faced Skyler and quietly said, "Is it bad if I wish he wasn't okay? I mean, none of those people realize Jack is a complete cheater who could've been a cause of Rags's suicide. It's her they should be apologizing to, not him."

Skyler shrugged. "While I agree with you on that last part, what can we do about it right now? Tell everyone Ashlyn came back as a ghost and is living in our apartment so please feel free to drop by with your condolences?"

Archer sent Skyler a glare. "That's not what I meant. I just think people ought to know the truth about Jack. He's not as innocent in this as they believe." He pushed himself up from his seat. "I can't stand watching this any longer. I'm going to go have a chat with everyone."

"Don't." Skyler grabbed Archer by the wrist and pulled him back down into his chair. "You and I both know that besides Coops you're the most awkward person when it comes to grabbing people's attention. And I doubt they'd even believe what you'll say. We may be close friends with Rags now, but while she was alive, we hadn't spoken a single word with her. To everyone here, we're still no better than strangers to her."

Archer let out a frustrated sigh. "I guess I hadn't thought about it from that perspective. But it just infuriates me to see this injustice. Do you think Rags figured out who Jack was to her by now?"

"I can't say. If she did, she hasn't expressed it yet."

"Maybe we should talk to her about this tonight. She deserves to know at least this much."

Before Skyler could respond, the TA entered the room and began taking attendance. She mindlessly called off one name after another, eventually reaching the last two.

"Jack Turner?"

"Here..."

"And finally, Ashlyn Tyler—" The young woman immediately caught her mistake. But it was too late. A depressing silence befell the entire room.