Chapter 56

It's early morning in Mistral. Ruby Rose is seen lying on the ground on the patio outside of the training room. She watches a group of four birds flying together, before one of them flies away from the group. As she watches it fly, Ruby sees Yang Xiao Long peek over her head.

Yang: You're up early.

Ruby: (smiles) Hey sis.

Yang: Boop.

Yang lets her hair down and uses it to tickle her little sister's nose. Ruby giggles affectionately at her older sister's action. Ruby then sits up as Yang sits down next to her.

Ruby: (sighs) What are you doing up?

Yang: Can't fall back to sleep.

Ruby: Ah, me neither.

Weiss: Well, fortunately, coffee exists.

Weiss Schnee carries a tray with three cups of coffee and walks over to join her teammates. She lowers the tray down so Yang can grab a cup.

Ruby: No, please!

Weiss: Don't worry, I put in blasphemous amounts of cream and sugar, just for you. (she holds the cup out in front for Ruby)

Ruby: Oh yeah! Nice Weiss strikes again!

Suddenly, Weiss pulls the cup away just as Ruby was about to grab it.

Weiss: I will pour this on you and it will burn.

She hands the cup to Ruby, who nervously giggles. Weiss sits down next her teammates and grabs her cup of coffee after placing the tray down next to her.

Yang: Can't believe we're actually in Mistral.

Ruby: That's what you can't believe?

Yang: Well, yeah! And all the other magic and stuff. But... Okay, you know what I mean!

Weiss: I honestly wasn't sure if I'd ever see you two again.

Yang: Well, here's to defying expectations.

Yang and Weiss clink cups together, while Ruby gulps her cup down in one go, opening one eye to glance at the others' cups.

Ruby: I just wish Blake and (Y/N) could be here with us.

Yang: Yeah, well, Blake made her choice.

Weiss: What's that supposed to mean?

Yang: (showing bitterness) I mean she could've been here if she just stuck around. It's no big deal though. We'll be fine.

Ruby and Weiss have concerned expressions on their faces.

Ruby: Don't you want her here?

Yang: Why would I want her here?

Ruby: Are you still mad at her for leaving?

Yang: (scoffs) Oh, whatever gave you that idea, Ruby? No, I'm totally fine. I'm great.

Weiss: Okay, calm down.

Yang: (her eyes turn red) Don't tell me to calm down!

Ruby and Weiss gain startled expressions.

Ruby: Whoa, Yang.

Yang realizes what she did, and her eyes turn back to normal. Her hand shakes while holding her cup.

Yang: Whatever.

She gets up and leaves. Ruby and Weiss watch her go before exchanging concerned looks with each other.

Back in Menagerie, Blake Belladonna leans against the railing on the balcony of the Belladonna Family Home. She looks up into the night sky as a voice calls out for her from inside her home.