Chapter 99

As the Atlesian Military prepares to fight the scores of Grimm emerging from Monstra's body, Yang Xiao Long, Jaune Arc, and Lie Ren sprint down a corridor within the gigantic Grimm. They stop to catch their breath.

Yang: Well, that was harrowing.

Jaune: We're not in the clear yet. We still have to search this whole thing and find Oscar before the Ace Ops blow us to pieces.

Yang: How are we supposed to find Oscar? It's going to be like finding a needle in a... giant... whale. Why did we think this was a good idea?

Ren looks thoughtfully down the corridor.

Ren: I... I might be able to help. I can sense spikes of people's emotions, I think. It happened on Winter's ship. If I focus my Aura, I can keep it up.

Yang: Okay, that's new. Maybe one of them is Oscar.

Ren touches his temples with his fingertips, focusing.

Ren: I can sort of tell where they are, but not who. They're more of less in the same area though. Further in. I can lead.

Ren makes to move down the corridor, but Jaune stops him with a hand on his shoulder.

Jaune: Hey, you don't have to drain yourself. I can help too.

Ren: Yeah, good thinking. Thanks.

Jaune: Well, lead the way.

Jaune awkwardly points finger guns at Ren while Yang rolls her eyes.

Caulifla: What corny ass shit are you people spitting out?

They all turn surprised seeing Caulifla and Kale. Caulifla had a smug smile on her face as Kale waved shyly to them.

Yang: What are you two doing here?

Caulifla: Got curious about the giant whale then we felt Mira's energy and thought why should (Y/N) be the only person to fight him? Where is he anyway?

Jaune: He's with Ruby.

Caulifla: Hm. He should be fine.

Elsewhere in Monstra, Oscar lies on his side on the ground.

Oscar: She brushed off her bumps and bruises, for nothing hurt worse than the loneliness in her chest.

Ozpin: I recognize that. The Girl Who Fell Through The World?

Oscar chuckles, turning to lie on his back.

Oscar: I shouldn't be surprised you're so familiar with fairy tales.

Ozpin: I've lived through my share of them. How are you holding up?

Oscar: I thought the idea of falling through Remnant into a new world was exciting. I never understood why she was so sad when she finally made it back home. But now it makes more sense.

Oscar stretches out toward the light emanating from beyond a membrane on the ceiling, and studies his gloved hand.

Ozpin: She wasn't the same girl anymore.

Oscar: Yeah.

Ozpin: I think this plan to divide might have run its course. It's time we start thinking about a way out. Not having our cane certainly limits the options, so...

With effort, Oscar curls into a fetal position.

Oscar: No, I don't like what happens when we use magic. Every time we use it, I can feel us merging faster. I'm not ready for that.

Ozpin: I don't blame you. Honestly, I think you're doing just fine on your own.

The door opens and Hazel Rainart enters. Oscar pushes himself into a supine position just before Hazel grabs him by the collar and hauls him up.