Chapter- 6 Party Fowl

🐚

~Present time in Onigiri Miya~

"You were Hoshiumi's Terashita once."

"That didn't sound like a question," Maeko countered defensively.

"That's because it wasn't. I know you used to date because he is the one who told me your name."

Maeko's heart clenched as she forced hope to not bloom at thinking Hoshiumi had actually wanted to see her again. "That's good for him, but what does that have to do with me?

Kenma narrowed his eyes. "Are you dumb or just obtuse?"

"Huh!?!"

Kuroo scratched his cheek and look at his watch. "Whoops. I went over gremlin hour."

"Double huh??"

"It's been too long since I've fed him, so now he's hangry."

"That doesn't give him an excuse to be rude." Maeko pointed across the table, and Kenma's head reared back like a cat getting sprayed with water. "And to answer your question, I am neither dumb nor obtuse!! I was simply asking why Hoshiumi would tell you my name."

Kenma was about to open his mouth and unleash 25 years of salty gamer rage, but Kuroo wisely slapped his hand over his boyfriend's face. "He needs carbs, so we're going to ignore him. Mkay~?" 

"No! Release the cave troll. I don't care what he says as long as he answers my questions. There were tons of camera people outside my office today, and I am not exactly famous enough to warrant all that drama. Apparently, you are though, so what did you do?!"

"It's your funeral," Kuroo sighed as he released Kenma.

Kenma took a deep breath in to treat her like he did Lev all those years ago, but Osamu slammed down a plate of onigiri making both shorter people start in fright.

Maeko nearly jumped out of her seat as she rasped, "Good gracious O. Miya! Give a girl some warning before you scare the hell out of me. I was trying to give him the death glare, so I didn't see you coming."

Osamu settled in next to Terashita and leveled Kenma a hard look. "Sorry Terashita, I didn't mean to scare ya. I was just trying to cut Kenma off before he said something he'd regret."

"Smooth moves Osamu!!" Kuroo picked up an onigiri and held it up to Kenma's face. "Eat."

Kenma glared at the offered food. "I can feed myself."

"I don't care. Bite, chew, swallow, and then speak."

Kenma grumbled something highly insulting under his breath, but he opened his mouth wide and took a massive bite. As he chewed, Maeko smiled at how adorably angry he looked. Kenma noticed her laughing and grunted at her to ask what was funny.

In a small voice, Maeko said, "Kourai used to eat like that. He'd shove his cheeks full of food just like a chipmunk and then spend the next ten minutes chewing."

Kenma couldn't speak due to his own chipmunk cheeks which gave Kuroo a chance to play his brand of interrogation since she didn't seem to respond well to Kenma's much more blunted form of questioning. He swirled his glass of beer between his deft fingers and noted, "You seem to have a lot of good memories with Hoshiumi. How long were you two together?"

"Nearly 3 years during high school." Maeko narrowed her eyes, and Kuroo held his hands up in a false surrender.

"Easy there Terashita. It was just an innocent question."

"I doubt there is anything innocent about you Kuroo," she murmured which made Kenma give her a squishy-cheeked smile to confirm her suspicions that his boyfriend was far from tame. She slid his water toward Kenma. "Drink some water so that you don't choke."