ꕥ. [ twenty ] open your eyes

TW: Violence, Death.

"What did you get me?!" the 8-year-old asked, jumping up and down. her father crouched down to her height, "You'll see one day, vi."

The toddler gasped and pointed to the small bag in his left hand, "You won't give me it right now?!"

Youngjae chuckled softly in endearment, "It's not a toy, so I don't think it'll interest you much, vi."

She crossed her tiny arms sound in her chest, and glared at him, "But daddy.."

Something behind Ivy seemed to catch Youngjae's attention when he immediately stood up and placed his daughter behind him.

A man with a hat on and glasses strode slowly on the sidewalk, his attention completely on the sky above them.

The older man instantly found him suspicious, but he kept on minding his business and grabbing his daughter as close to him as possible.

Wishing the fear that invaded his chest was just him being paranoid.

But he was wrong.

In a heartbeat the unknown man stood behind Youngjae, so close, he was able to speak directly to his ear, "Give me the bag."

Youngjae put his daughter in front of him and pushed her softly.

"Ivy get out of here, run," Youngjae told his daughter, but everything his 8-year-old could do was stare at him with doe eyes from the side of the curb, in evident shock.

"I won't, Daddy. I'm not leaving you!"

The streets were isolated at this hour. It was 10 pm after all.

"Shut the fuck up!" the unknown man yelled and tensed his grip around Youngjae's neck. Ivy winced, "Leave my daddy alone!"

But that comment only made the man angrier.

Youngjae had gone to pick up the customized ring from the craftsman's house, and Ivy insisted on coming along.

Her mother was at work at this hour, and though she had learned to stay home alone when her parents were working, he couldn't bring himself to leave her alone tonight.

But he was regretting his choice, deeply.

Youngjae kept fighting against the grip the man had on him. "Just give me the bag."

"Never."

Although he found himself in an agonizing position, he wasn't one to back out. even more, after he reserved months' worth of salary to buy a beautiful radiant-type ring for Ivy.

He intended to give it to her when Ivy graduated high school, even if that took 10 years. That shiny ring was going to be hers.

Ivy cried silently, letting out another scream when the grip was tightened around her father's neck.

"Just give me the damn bag!"