twelve

you knocked on the door to akaashi's house, your palms sweating. you hadn't talked to him in years, and it was an added bonus because you needed to go to tokyo for a scholarship trip to a university. you were here for three days. one was to visit the city, one was to see the university you wanted to go to, and the other day was to pack and get ready to go home.

the door opened, and a boy with fristed tips opened the door. "hi?" he said, hand still on the door. he didn't have a shirt on, and he was wearing shorts. his hair was in his face, like he had just gotten out of the shower.

"um, hi. is akaashi here? his parents told me he moved out of their house and this was the address they gave me. do i not have the right house?" you said, looking at the address on the house.

"no no, this is the right house. come in, i'll get akaashi. he's my roomate, this is my place. nice, huh?" the boy said, seeing you look around at the house. you nodded. "akaashi, someone's here to see you!"

"coming, bo, i'll be right there. who is it?" akaashi yelled back.

"what's your name?"

"[name]," you replied, shifting the bag on your shoulder. "it's been a few years since we've talked and i wanted to catch up."

"someone named [name] is here for you!"

akaashi came around the corner and stopped in place when he saw you. his expression brightened, and he smiled. "hi, [name]. it's been a while, huh?" he came over and engulfed you in a warm hug. you smiled.

"yeah. i was just having a conversation with someone today and brought up your name and just wanted to stop by to catch up. but when i went to your old place, your parents told me you moved and gave me this address," you told the boy. "what's it been, 3 years? i've missed you."

"i missed you too. come, i'll make you breakfast. what are you even doing in japan? i thought you lived in america?"

you followed akaashi to the kitchen and sat on one of the stools at the island. the boy named "bo" sat down next to you, clearly interested in what you were saying.

"well, my dad got a really great job here and we as a family came together and decided to move to japan. i live in karasuno, and i got a scholarship to this really great university here and came on a trip to visit the school. so, here i am."

akaashi began to make some food, listening. "that's great! we played volleyball with karasuno a few times. oh, it was great, wasn't it, bo? i miss playing volleyball so much."

bo nodded. "yeah, i still play though. i play for a different team now. oh, i'm bokuto koutaro, but you can call me bo."

"what do you do now if you don't play volleyball?"

"i'm an editor. it's a lot of fun, but definitely takes some time out of my day. its super great though." akaashi passed you a bowl and some chopsticks. it looked like scrambled eggs and rice.

"um, this is going to sound weird but do you have any forks? i haven't learned to use chopsticks quite yet. i'm working on it though," you asked, looking at the chopsticks. akaashi and bokuto both laughed.

"i do, i have one for when i dont feel like using chopsticks. here. i forgot you were from america. and if you don't like breakfast, don't worry. i won't be offended."