• 4 •

valerie

"We got dat cash moneyyy," Pey laughed, helping Jadyn count out the bills from our most recent job. The two of them had gotten it when they collected it on Monday from our clients, but it had taken 'til today, on Saturday, to finish counting it.

"They wanted that nigga dead," Pey added, shaking her head while she went through a stack of 100s real fast.

"And they paid good money when they had solid evidence that the nigga wasn't gonna come back alive," Milli added in, watching Peytyn and Jadyn count.

"We have enough to settle somewhere different," Jadyn said quietly. I watched all of them, always assessing. Always trying to weed out any weak traits that could be fixed. Always analyzing.

"But where to? The prices at the hotel are fine, but our quarters are too small and we all deserve to have a bed of our own," I said.

"Especially when you wanna bring a chick home," Pey added innocently.

"No chicks," Jadyn quoted one of my rules almost immediately, still counting through.

"I think that...today could be an exception," I gave them all a slow smile. Milli turned to me, looking up from fiddling with her hands, "You never let us have exceptions," her eyes were wide with wonder.

"A special occasion for a special amount of cash," I happily shrugged.

"We should be saving this up," Jadyn stated, staring at me in confusion.

"Who said we won't? A little cash spent at the club won't hurt us too bad," I shrugged again.

"We're living outta a hotel. Not enough beds for each of us. Two to a bed, Val. We should be saving up as much as we can to at least afford an apartment that we can call ours," Jadyn noted seriously.

"Look, we don't have to spend any cash at the club. Even though I hate not spending cash at a club, 'cause what? But anyways, that way, we save money but we still get to have a good time," Pey offered.

"I think Jadyn's right," Milli said quietly. "We can't just touch money then let it run away. We need to hold onto it."

"None of us here are used to having this much. That's why it's more important than anything to save it up so that we can keep making more of it," Jadyn finished.

"Fine," I sighed, looking away from everyone as I sat in one of the hotel chairs.

"It's a good idea. But an idea for another time," Jadyn added.

"Not right now," Pey murmured, laying a hand on Jadyn's knee, out the corner of my eye. "You don't want her to get in one of ha moods."

"Val?" Milli asked timidly.

"I'm goin' to bed," I got up abruptly.

"Immature," I heard Jadyn mumble, still counting.

I closed our bedroom door, going to sit down on the bed as I held my face in my hands. Jadyn and Milli were right: we couldn't afford to just throw our dough around. But man, having this much made it hella tempting. I lifted my head up simultaneously as Pey poked her head in. "Jadyn's already been looking at some apartments nearby. She suggested we all go and check some out throughout Houston. It'll be nice for us all. And we can make it fun. We could even go today."

"Nahh, but she thinks I'm immature. Why would an immature person agree to that," I scoffed.

Pey glanced back before entering the room and closing the door behind herself. "We all can be childish at times, Val. It's just that we expect more from you because...you're the person who holds us together. Who got this whole assassin thing jumpin'. Who gets us through each mission with your smarts and allat. Book smart but no common sense ain't a good combo, Val. That's all."

"I'm trying to be better for everyone. I know you guys rely on me," I exhaled heavily.

Pey leaned in close to me, sitting down on the bed.

"Milli looks up to you and Jadyn. But she looks up to Jadyn more because she's responsible and reasonable. Levelheaded and mature. She can be respected. You get what I'm tryna say?"

"No," I scoffed, "I don't."

"If everyone here starts seeing Jadyn as the one callin' the shots...where does that leave you, Val?"

I paused, looking away from Peytyn.

"I believe in you and I trust you. You got my number one support. But...you don't really have a position here like the rest of us do. You just have a knack for getting us through the missions some way, somehow. Climbing over a fence last minute, using something special to pick a lock, remembering we left foot prints in the mud so spraying it with water. You're like all of combined into one- all of the duties that we already do. Just backup. Just...extra."

"You don't really need me," I nodded to myself, "And I don't really have a place here."

"Nobody's saying that..."

"But every time I'm too emotional or I fuck up, that's what everybody's thinking. Because I have to be perfect all the time, or I'll only be met with criticism. Never mind that I carry everyone's problems on my shoulders and I have more than enough of my own."

Pey only sighed.

"If you need a break from this-

"I'll do better. So I can stay apart of something I built," I pointed at myself.

Pey watched me walk out, a somber look on her.

What do you think will happen with Val?
Is Jadyn secretly plotting something?
Do you guys think a hurricane might come in the book?
What do you guys think about Pey?