• 45 •

eneaj

"Happy to see you back," Mrs. Smith hugged me.

Like I had been gone or something.

"Happy to be back," I smiled, not feeling the same way inside.

"I wanna work on some remodeling. Before the summer of course," I told her. "I think it's time this club looks different." I blinked back tears. "It doesn't need to look the same anymore."

"Alright," she patted my shoulder.

"Is Fifth here tonight?" I asked, the sound of the DJ testing out some mixes jumping over my voice.

"Yes," Mrs. Smith nodded, "By the bar," she mouthed.

The crew was already scattered about, doing their different jobs. I gave one of my janitor's a smile, and threw a paper cup in the trash, then went over to the bar in search of Fifth.

She was helping wipe it down, holding a conversation.

I stood off to the side, not wanting to interrupt.

"Eneaj?"

I looked up. She was done talking, holding a shot of something.

"Hey," I smiled awkwardly. "How's it goin'?"

"I should be askin' you that, no? No more arguments, correct? Between you and the fat head girl."

"No," I smiled, ignoring the one we had about Jacinth in my head, "We're doing alright."

"I'm gonna perform one of my songs tonight," excitement shone in her eyes. "I'm so excited. The DJ approved."

"I'm glad. It's your time to shine, Fifth," I agreed.

"I'll go head up there," Fifth left her shot glass at the bar, waving at me.

I ordered something for myself, floating through the club and making sure everything that needed to be done was done. I went up to my office as the night started, customers pouring in with their different celebrations and agonies.

It was all just too much extra emotion for me to handle right now. Especially because memories were hitting me back to back of last night. It was like they were thawing out, and this was the last place I wanted them to be revealed to me at.

I was trying to concentrate on pouring over a legal paper I had when someone knocked on my door.

"It's not the bathroom. Check downstairs," I said, already used to it.

The door was kicked open and people in all black flooded in.

"What the fuck?" I reached under my desk for my gun, but I couldn't grab it in time as I was tied up and the office door shut.

One of the people took the mask off their face.

"Who the fuck are you?" I demanded.

I was gagged and put back in my chair, rolled around in front of my desk, and the guy pulled a gun out.

"Relax. We're only here to prove a point."

Scruffy beard, the smell of weed rolled off of him. I didn't know him. But...he matched the description of someone Valerie had mentioned before.

I struggled against the gag in my mouth. I just wanted to talk. I needed to know who sent them and why. Was it that Kaley girl? Shit, was it even Yenvy?

"Night night," the guy said and the gun came crashing towards my face.

"Eneaj? Eneaj?" Jadyn slapped the fuck out of me.