Prolouge

Seventeen Years Ago

"He's not coming is he?" Beatrice asks her friend.
"No, no he's not" her friend Andrea responds, shaking her head. This did not surprise either of the two women that Santiago Franco would not be attending the birth of their sixth child since he never went to any of them. He never cared about anything his wife did, he only cared that he got an heir. He hated the fact that she was having a baby girl, he found girls to be useless, and he thought having a daughter would make him look weak in front of his allies.
"Did you even want him to come?" Andrea asks, concerned as her friend experiences another contraction.
"No, I—" Beatrice stops mid sentence as she screams out in pain. The door opens behind them as the doctor walks in and closes the door behind her.
"Hello Beatrice, let me take a look" says the doctor as she starts to see if Beatrice is ready to push. Beatrice trusted the Dr. Rossi  very much, she helped deliver all of her children. It was always the same the same each birth, Santiago was absent, while Andrea and Dr. Rossi where there, supporting her.
"Alright Beatrice, it's time to start pushing" the doctor said, and that's what she did for the next hour.

***

Beatrice was exhausted having been in labor for so long, and she was thankful that it was finally over. But when she first saw her baby, something was not right, she was not crying, she was not moving, she wasn't breathing. Dr. Rossi took action, moving the baby out of the room to try to save Elenora. Beatrice looked over at her friend, panicked.
"D-do you t-think she will be all right?" Beatrice asked her friend.
"I don't know" she answered honestly, "let me see if I can get an update. Andrea walks out of the room to try to find Dr. Rossi.
While she is gone Beatrice gets lost in thought, thinking of the worst, that her baby girl might be dead, and how her husband wouldn't even care and might go as far as celebrating. She snaps out it with closing of the door across the room. In walked a nurse in her twenties, with an apologetic face.
"I'm sorry for disturbing you miss, I am here to check on you and your vitals" the nurse says.
"Oh, I was hoping you were here to give me an update on my daughter" Beatrice said disappointed.
"No I'm sorry not yet, but let me check on you" the nurse says. Beatrice nods, and the nurse begins checking. After a few minutes of uncomfortable silence, the nurse sends her a worried glance that she tries to cover up with a smile.
"What is it?" Beatrice asks the nurse.
"Nothing, I just need to ask the doctor something" she says before leaving the room quickly.
The nurse quickly runs down the hallway, to talk to Dr. Rossi. The nurse whispers something, then Dr. Rossi picks up her pace walking to Beatrice's room, before running into a frantic Andrea.
"Thank god I found you, is the baby alright?" Andrea asks, slightly out of breath.
"Yes, we were able to stabilize her, we are keeping a close eye on her, but she is alright. I need to check on Beatrice now" the doctor says. Andrea nods and starts to follow her to the hospital room.
As the two women walk back into the room, they can tell Beatrice is not doing well, her skin pale, and her body trembling. In a shaky voice she asks, "how is my daughter?"
"Good, but I need to examine you, it will only take a second" the doctor says. After completing the examination she sucks in a breath, and looks over sadly at Beatrice.
"I'm sorry my dear, but you've lost too much blood, it's called postpartum hemorrhage. I can't stop it at this point, I did not catch it soon enough. I will leave and let you two say goodbye" Dr. Rossi silently leaves the room with her head hung low, closing the door behind her. She focused on the baby, and did not see the signs in Beatrice which also needed to be treated immediately. She wanted to say goodbye, but couldn't look her in the eye, she had failed her.

"I'm so sorry Beatrice, you're my closest friend. You don't deserve this" Andrea says while holding her hand, crying.
"Why are you apologizing?" Beatrice says giving her a weak smile. "I need you to do two things for me though."
"Of course anything" Andrea says quickly.
"First I need you to look after my sons, check in on them from time to time. I'm worried what their father will do without me there to stop it. And second-"
"Yes, but what about Elenora?" Andrea interrupts Beatrice to ask.
"She is my second thing. I know this might sound crazy, but I need you to listen. I-I need you to get her out of here make sure Santiago can never get his hands on her. You and Dr. Rossi need to do that by faking her death. Say she died in child birth, I mean others in the hospital saw she was not breathing it's plausible she has other complications." Andrea looks at her friend in panic. "I know this is crazy, but Santiago will hurt her, she won't survive with me not being there to protect her. If I can do one last thing before I die, I would like it to be to save my child from this life. It's too late for my other kids, but I can save my little Elenora. Santiago would ask too many questions if I said one of my sons had died during child birth, but he never wanted her anyways, he wouldn't care, you could get away with this" she says with hope in her eyes that she could give her child a better life.
"I don't think I could-" she says in disbelief about her friends Hail Mary.
"Please" Beatrice pleads her friend. With the look of desperation in her friends eyes, Andrea knew she could not say no.
"You're my best friend I would do anything for you" Andrea states.
"Thank y-" Beatrice said before she slipped into unconsciousness.

***

Andrea and Dr. Rossi carried out Beatrice's final wish. Dr. Rossi declared little Elenora dead and helped Andrea sneak her out. Elenora was left at a orphanage across the country in a small town, with only a small note that said, "This is Elenora take care of her".
As Beatrice predicted her husband Santiago did not care about the baby being gone. He only attended Beatrice's funeral for appearance sake. With her gone he was able to raise his kids to be soldiers, and obedient. He the harshest on his eldest son since he would eventually take over the mafia, and his youngest seeing him as an easy target. Over the years he made them miserable without ever knowing that her had another child out there.