Chapter Six

Elenora Point of View

It's been almost a month since I got on that bus and left for New York City. I've been working at a dinner in Manhattan, it doesn't pay a lot, but I worked out a deal with the owner where if I open and close, I can live in the space above the dinner for basically nothing.

I don't think I'm going to have any trouble with the Irish finding me, I not only bought a ticket to LA, but I also gave someone my phone and card who was heading there so a trail will be left in LA, while I only use cash.

"Hey Claire can you run these to table for for me" Mike, the chef says to me. I've been going by Claire in New York so it's a definite that no word of Elenora Walsh being in New York would get back to the Irish or the Italians.

"Yeah I got it" I say as a grab the plates. I run it over and set the plates down in front of the customers, "Careful, the plates are hot" I say. I ask if the need anything else before walking away. Before I can make it back to the kitchen a person yells out to me from the table.

"Girl, you couldn't have told the us the plates are hot, I burned myself, you idiot. God can't even do your job right" he says practically yelling. I have a new respect for waitstaff and Mom, I don't know how they deal with these idiotic people all the time.

"I'm sorry sir, would you like me to get anything to help with the burn" I say with fake concern, better to put up with him and be able to walk away than to stand here and argue.

"No, but I need my meal to be comped, you fucked up, so fix the damn issue" he says. God the entitled prick.

"I'm sorry sir, I can't do that without a manager here, but I can get you a free dessert" I say trying to get him to stop.

"That's all you can do, that's all you can do. I can sue you, you bi-" he starts to yell before he is interrupted by someone walking into the dinner.

"What's the problem here" the officer who just walked in asked. I've seen him in here before, he's one of the regulars.

"Nothing officer" the man at the table says, his entire attitude changing.

"Good than I suggest you eat your food before it gets cold, and stop harassing the staff" she says before walking up to the counter. I don't stay at the table long before walking back to the kitchen.

"You good kid?" The officer asks as I walk past him. I nod before walking away.

***

"Thank god" I say and Mike laughs, it feels like this shift has lasted an eternity. I walk out of the kitchen to the front area of the dinner. I'm about ready to close, and only have to count the darker when a man walks in.

"Sorry we're closed right now" I say while continue in good to count the cash register. Then I hear the cocking of a gun and I look up to see the man pointing a gun, directly at my head.

"I know, give me all the money in the drawer" he looks down at my neck, "and that necklace, it looks expensive" oh no, not that, I didn't take much with me, but I took the necklace Mom gave me for my sixteenth birthday. I can't tell him that so, I start to take the money out of the drawer and put in the bag. I hope Mike heard this and is contacting the police. I reach up to take off my necklace, but start to hesitate.

"And the necklace" he says and I start to cry while I take it off and put it in his hand. Once he had the money and my necklace, he start to walk away. Before he can get out the door, the same officer from this afternoon walks in with his gun facing the man.